Currently ~700$ Build

Khoax

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2011
Approximate Purchase Date: Around the end of october.

Budget Range: 600-900 before rebates.

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming(Although I don't need to max everything.)

Parts Not Required: Keyboard, Mouse, Monitor, Speakers, OS

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Tigerdirect

I've already chosen all of my parts, but I'd like some feedback to make sure they are all compatible(I checked pretty thoroughly, but I want to make sure I didn't miss anything,) has a good enough power supply, and would like to know if there are any better alternatives to some of my parts in around the same price range.

Also, my goal is for a mid-ish build with plenty of upgrade ability.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Parts in question: http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d90/dcgameplayer/NewBuild.jpg

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

Everything looks good. Other folks may have other preferences, but your choices are all good and will work together well. If you are planning on staying with the stock HSF that comes with the Phenom II X4 955, you won't really need the extra thermal grease. The HSF comes with thermal already applied. But if you decide to use the aftermarket grease, you will need cleaner or some Isopropyl alcohol to remove the factory stuff.
I'm glad to see you chose an AM3+ socket. It'll take the next generation of AMD processors. Some of the larger AMD HSFs are troublesome to get latched to the retention bracket. If that occurs for you, might I suggest the ZALMAN CNPS5X SZ. It goes on easily the way AMD's HSF should have been designed. And has superior cooling for overclocking. And you will probably want to OC the 955, because it is so easy to do; simply increase the multiplier gradually...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835118090
You will have a fine gaming rig for minimum cost.

Khoax

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2011

Thanks for the insight and fan recommendation. On that note, would I be able to OC the CPU with the stock HSF? And would my power supply be able to handle me OC'ing everything else as well?

Can you elaborate on what BD is, please? I'm stumped lol.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

You can take the multiplier up a few clicks and be OK with the stock HSF if you want to experiment a bit before replacing it with an aftermarket HSF, yes. But use a reliable CPU temp monitor * to watch the temps when the CPU is under stress; like running Prime95. Heavy gaming won't stress the processor anything like Prime95, so you have some headroom. I believe the max operating temp of the X4 955 is 62C. A lot depends on how well ventilated your case is and the ambient temp of the environment.
And, yes, your 650W PSU is more than adequate for overclocking. The hardest work it will be doing is running your graphics card ;-) But, still good.

*CoreTemp: http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/ And remember, Phenom IIs only have a single CPU temp sensor, no individual core temp sensors like Intels. So all 4 'cores' will read the same.

Btw, you can wait for the Bulldozer line to come out. Or you can enjoy the Phenom II X4 955 now and sell it on ebay when the Bulldozer comes out (if it ever does).

TRENDING THREADS