Is a RECERTIFIED Alienware product worth the risk?

(1) out of stock
(2) not sure how big a risk. If it fail in warantee (90 days typical, i didn't check) then fine. If it fail out of warantee then it's a server. You can replace parts, not like a laptop.

I've bought nothing but refurbs for my last dozen or so PCs. (Typing on an HP refurburished i7-920 right now) As long as the ORIGINAL MANUFACTURER provides the warranty you are great. Anything else it's just a used PC and I wouldn't touch at any price they'd be willing to sell.

factory refurb with factory warranty means a sales channel return. someone configured more than they could pay for.

My i7-920 with gtx260 1.6GB was under $500 when i7-920s were over $300, x58 MBs were over $200, win7 64-bit oem at $100, dvd, 8gb ram, seagate 7200.12, key + mouse, case and 460 watt PSU.

My kids HP Pavilion Elite HPE-250F Desktop PC Intel Core i7 860(2.80GHz) 8GB DDR3 1TB HDD Capacity ATI Radeon HD 5770 Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit was also less than $500.

Try it before you knock it.

try2catchmike

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
I just ordered this same rig off the Dell Outlet website with the 20% off coupon. Dont listen to all these guys bashing Alienware or prebuilt. This is my first prebuilt (have built many over the years) and if you add up the parts its cheaper then buying the thing new and it also has a warranty! Alienware is overpriced but these refurb deals can be a steal if you pick them up at the right time. Also im tired of ordering all my components and finding out my PSU or MB is DOA and I have to wait another 2 weeks to get it in the mail! Always happens to me when building a rig.

try2catchmike

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
$4000 on a Alienware prebuilt

$2000 for same pc built by self

makes sense >_>

Read the post, I am talking about a $1000 refurb Alienware that you CANT build for the same price. No one said anything about customizing some $4000 Alienware on their site. Learn to read.

ram1009

Distinguished

What you cite are the minute exceptions to the rule. Re-certified means "already broke once---at least". You can get better odds in Vegas.

lol, My refurb purchases started after i bought a $3600 micron P100. Great PC, was too slow after two years. Back then cache was on a stick, not in the CPU.

I must be on a 15 PC win streak. Vegas here i come. The only part to ever fail was a CD burner. I bought a new one, but never used it.

Because it's a hobby and I have kids, the last few purchases were three i7-920s and the i7-860, before that I had a wave of 2x q6600s and 2x amd 5000s. Mixed in were a SFF e7500 and an E5400 ht system. prior to that p4s and an amd3700. prior to that big athlon 1300s. Savings vs. parts is huge and no temptation to run illegal copy of the OS or DVD decoder.

Re-certified means "already broke once---at least". --> nope. re-certified means someone bought more than they could afford and the PC got returned. in the old days manufacturers parted these machines. Now they can't do that and sell as new so they dump them for less than 1/2 price -- i.e. below their cost.

As I said, try it before you knock it.

try2catchmike

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009

I called Dell before I ordered it is a 2600k and others that have ordered have confirmed thats what they recieved. So you matched the price with a slightly inferior rig, worse proc,psu, no watercooling and you still havent figured in having it built for you and a year long warranty in the event that anything happens. Dells warranty is very good just annoying to deal with them sometimes.