Last response: in Systems
September 30, 2011 2:32:18 AM

System Usage : Gaming and other shenanigans

Parts Not Required: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, OS

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Overclockers / eBuyer

Country of Origin: England

Overclocking: Yes

SLI or Crossfire: Yes

Hey guys, I had previously started a topic about building a PC a couple of months ago, but due to other things cropping up have not been able to proceed with buying and building it. NOW however I am getting it bought, built and ready to play as frankly I can't wait to get it up and running.

However since my last post several things I had been looking at have either become unavailable or the suggestions given to me are no longer on the website. So... I ask if the kind folk of Toms Hardware can once again get me on the right path to building this thing once and for all!

So far I am up to:

Coolermaster HAF 932 Advanced Case
i5 2500k
Asus P8Z68-V Intel Z68 DDR3 Motherboard
Corsair HX 750W ATX Modular SLI Compliant
Corsair Vengeance Blue 8GB
Samsung HD103SJ Spinpoint F3 1TB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 32MB Cache
Coolermaster V8 Processor cooler

...and this is where I am up to! Leaving me with an SSD and a graphics card to choose. The SSD I was looking for ~120GB (nothing obscenely expensive though) and the graphics card. I had been looking into the HD 6950 but that was groin grabbingly expensive so was suggested a GTX 560ti that at a later time I would SLI. Im not fussy on either AMD / Nvidia just as long itll play games at a very decent standard, can't wait for SW:TOR and BF3!

So there we have it. If you can suggest any and all modifications to this I am happy to hear them, and look forward to a swift response!

Regards,
McNab

More about : buying tomorrow minute advice suggestions

September 30, 2011 7:28:56 AM

What you have so far looks good :) 

I possibly recommend checking out a GEN3 motherboard (ASRock Extreme4 GEN3) just so you have a nice upgrade path to an IvyBridge processor if you ever wanted it, and im sure new generations of graphics cards will work really well with the PCI 3.0 slots.

6950 vs GTX 560Ti - Very very similar cards, i think it comes down to preference more than anything else, NVIDIA or ATI. My suggestion would probably pick just grab which every card you can get cheaper. Check out www.scan.co.uk for "Today Only" deals.

SSD - Crucial M4 128GB is a good choice.

CPU Cooler - Is the V8 really necessary? You could save yourself quite a bundle and go with something "simple but effective" like the Hyper 212+ (or the new EVO version, although I don't think this is out in the UK yet).
September 30, 2011 1:40:19 PM

Ok great thats helped a lot! As has the suggestion of the todays deals on scan. Found a couple of bits cheaper than I was going to get from another site, much appreciated! I shall have a look now for a graphics card, but still feel pretty out of my depth in terms of picking a suitable one for my needs.

This leaves me with:

HAF 932 advanced case
i5 2500k
ASRock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3
Corsair HX750W PSU
8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3
1TB Samsung F3 Sata3
Crucial 128GB 2.5" M4 SSD SATA-III
Coolermaster hyper 212+
Samsung SH-B123L/BSBP 12x Blu-ray BD-ROM & DVDRW Combo Player OEM

...and possibly the 1GB Asus GTX 560Ti Direct CU II card? Seen some pretty good reviews for it...

Anybody care to give their 2 cents before I go ahead and buy all this?
Related resources
September 30, 2011 2:07:18 PM

...anybody? Need to buy this asap as won't be able to over the next few days. Cheers.
September 30, 2011 2:15:25 PM

Looks good to me! I have the EVGA 560 Ti and it has been handling all the games I have been playing on it. These are Dues Ex Human Revolution, BF2, Crysis 2, GTA4 on max settings! Plus I guess you can overclock it too! I still need to figure that part out lol.

Good luck!
September 30, 2011 2:44:45 PM

Great news. Thanks very much. Can't wait to order and build this beast! Have to wait til tuesday I think for delivery though ;_;
!