System font is bold?

I'm using windows XP on a compaq notebook computer (P4 2.4, 512 MB RAM), and
out of nowhere today, all of the system fonts are now bold. This includes
all text on the desktop, all of the text in the menus of programs, etc. In
outlook express, where I read newsgroups, the messages that I have read
still stay bolded.

I have performed a system restore to no avail. I have also tried to change
desktop themes - everything changes except the fonts. Is there any way to
fix this very annoying problem?

John
3 answers Last reply
More about system font bold

    Which Service Packs do you have installed? In the meantime, try the group
    in question (SP?) and:

    http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=lang_en&ie=UTF-8&newwindow=1&c2coff=1&q=System+font+is+bold&btnG=Search&meta=group%3Dmicrosoft.public.windowsxp.*

    --
    All the Best,
    Kelly

    Microsoft-MVP Windows® XP
    2004 Windows MVP "Winny" Award

    Troubleshooting Windows XP
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

    Taskbar Repair Tool Plus!

    "John Peters" <johnpeters3@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
    > I'm using windows XP on a compaq notebook computer (P4 2.4, 512 MB RAM),
    > and
    > out of nowhere today, all of the system fonts are now bold. This includes
    > all text on the desktop, all of the text in the menus of programs, etc.
    > In
    > outlook express, where I read newsgroups, the messages that I have read
    > still stay bolded.
    >
    > I have performed a system restore to no avail. I have also tried to
    > change
    > desktop themes - everything changes except the fonts. Is there any way to
    > fix this very annoying problem?
    >
    > John

    Since your are using a notebook I think xp turns on cleartype by default.
    you can turn this off by,

    right click on desktop->properties->AppearanceTab->Effects...,

    there you will have a choice "use the following method to smooth edges of
    screen fonts:
    Cleartype/standard

    Cleartype is used to enhance the desktop to make it easyer to read on a LCD
    monitor.
    while standard is for normal CRT(desktop) monitors.

    Hope this helped :)

    D_Angle

    "John Peters" <johnpeters3@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
    > I'm using windows XP on a compaq notebook computer (P4 2.4, 512 MB RAM),
    and
    > out of nowhere today, all of the system fonts are now bold. This includes
    > all text on the desktop, all of the text in the menus of programs, etc.
    In
    > outlook express, where I read newsgroups, the messages that I have read
    > still stay bolded.
    >
    > I have performed a system restore to no avail. I have also tried to
    change
    > desktop themes - everything changes except the fonts. Is there any way to
    > fix this very annoying problem?
    >
    > John

Configuration Windows XP