System font is bold?

July 24, 2004 7:42:53 PM

I'm using windows XP on a compaq notebook computer (P4 2.4, 512 MB RAM), and
out of nowhere today, all of the system fonts are now bold. This includes
all text on the desktop, all of the text in the menus of programs, etc. In
outlook express, where I read newsgroups, the messages that I have read
still stay bolded.

I have performed a system restore to no avail. I have also tried to change
desktop themes - everything changes except the fonts. Is there any way to
fix this very annoying problem?

John

More about : system font bold

July 25, 2004 7:17:32 AM

Which Service Packs do you have installed? In the meantime, try the group
in question (SP?) and:

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=lang_en&ie=UTF....*

--
All the Best,
Kelly

Microsoft-MVP Windows® XP
2004 Windows MVP "Winny" Award

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

Taskbar Repair Tool Plus!

"John Peters" <johnpeters3@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> I'm using windows XP on a compaq notebook computer (P4 2.4, 512 MB RAM),
> and
> out of nowhere today, all of the system fonts are now bold. This includes
> all text on the desktop, all of the text in the menus of programs, etc.
> In
> outlook express, where I read newsgroups, the messages that I have read
> still stay bolded.
>
> I have performed a system restore to no avail. I have also tried to
> change
> desktop themes - everything changes except the fonts. Is there any way to
> fix this very annoying problem?
>
> John

Anonymous
July 26, 2004 10:40:26 PM

Since your are using a notebook I think xp turns on cleartype by default.
you can turn this off by,

right click on desktop->properties->AppearanceTab->Effects...,

there you will have a choice "use the following method to smooth edges of
screen fonts:
Cleartype/standard

Cleartype is used to enhance the desktop to make it easyer to read on a LCD
monitor.
while standard is for normal CRT(desktop) monitors.

Hope this helped :)

D_Angle

!