GTX 560 ti with core 2 quad and pcie 1.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

keplaesh

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2011
HI, I'm upgrading my graphics card soon with a nice gtx 560 ti problem is I'm not sure my pc can make use of its full potential. Because i have quite an old processor and pci e of 1.1 which if i remember correctly is half the bandwidth of 2.0's. so my question is will it be right if i would get the card?

My system:
CORE 2 quad 8300 @ 3.06 ghz stock voltage
4 GB DDR2 (DUAL CHANNEL)
ASUS P5KPL-AM SE (has pcie 1.1)
decent cooling

thanks for answering I aprecciate it!

Solution
Well, here's a quick comparison: AnandTech Bench q8300 vs i5-2500k , but I would say the gaming scores specifically are more exaggerated at Anandtech compared to most everything else I've read.

It's still a pretty good boost if you go to a 2500k though... hard to put an exact number on it, but I would say anywhere from 10% up to 50% on some CPU dependent games.

Ivy Bridge and hopefully Bulldozer will be a bigger difference than that.

EDIT: At those temps you won't shorten the lifespan by any noticeable difference. Voltage and heat are both responsible for CPU degradation, but heat is by far the bigger culprit. By the time it goes it will be utterly obsolete (still another 5-7 years easy, probably more). I would say you could...

Soma42

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010
A q8300 is only two generations ago, so it's really not that old. I would suggest overclocking your CPU a bit more though and then it'll do just fine. That said, if you wanted to upgrade to Sandy Bridge you would see an improvement in frame rates, but I would wait until at least Bulldozer/Ivy Bridge to get a more noticeable improvement.

It's a x16 lane slot correct? I wouldn't imagine a board coming with one x8 lane, but you never know...

So the conversion between PCIe 1.1 and 2.0 is:
PCIe 1.1 x16 lanes = PCIe 2.0 x8 lanes

A GTX 580 loses about 3-4% on average when limited to a PCIe 2.0 x8 (1.1 x16) and the 560ti isn't going to use as much bandwidth, so I would guess it would be around a 1-2% difference.

keplaesh

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2011
thanks for answering guys! I don't think i would be getting a new platform for about 2 more years. err I can't overclock my cpu abit more because temps are in 70's at load.would a core 2 quad @ 3.06 is great with a gtx 560 ti?

How long have you had that CPU?

I would suggest getting a new CPU cooler.If your temps are in the 70's and you've had it for a couple years don't expect it to last a couple more.The higher the temps are the shorter the life span will be for the processor.

You shouldn't have any problems using the GTX560ti on your 1.1 board.But your CPU will limit the full potential of a GTX560ti,espically in CPU demanding games and a 720p resolution.

keplaesh

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2011
I've had it for about a year and a half. It gets around 70-75 when torture it with Intel burn test but in normal gaming(crysis 2, ACbrotherhood,COD and stuff like that) it hovers from 55-63. so it isn't so high at all. what kind of limit do you mean 10-30% performance? I only have 60hz monitor btw so I dont really need to be having fps above 60

Soma42

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010
Well, here's a quick comparison: AnandTech Bench q8300 vs i5-2500k , but I would say the gaming scores specifically are more exaggerated at Anandtech compared to most everything else I've read.

It's still a pretty good boost if you go to a 2500k though... hard to put an exact number on it, but I would say anywhere from 10% up to 50% on some CPU dependent games.

Ivy Bridge and hopefully Bulldozer will be a bigger difference than that.

EDIT: At those temps you won't shorten the lifespan by any noticeable difference. Voltage and heat are both responsible for CPU degradation, but heat is by far the bigger culprit. By the time it goes it will be utterly obsolete (still another 5-7 years easy, probably more). I would say you could go higher on the overclock if you wanted, but an aftermarket cooler would do wonders or water cooling if you are so inclined.

Solution

keplaesh

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2011
I have my Cpu @ 3.06 ghz, most of my games would prolly have 60+ fps when my gtx 560 arrives. I never had a cpu that broke in time, never heard of it too. They say it takes 10 years of continous cpu usage to break down a cpu.
I have another problem though with overclocking it higher, when I OC to around 3.2 ghz my sata devices are gone, all I can see is my IDE hdd. Any idea?

Status
Not open for further replies.