Won't start,No Beeps, (Post?), was working...

cherndon

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2011
Hey guys,

I was actually busy fixing my computer when I determined it was the ram. i took the ram out of my brothers computer and placed it in mine. Sure enough mine works great now and no longer crashes.

However when I went to install his ram. I got three beeps so I knew I screwed up while installing it. I cut off the power and put in the ram. Now it was starting up but no video. I tried moving the ram to appropriate slots and didn't work. I even went online to download his motherboard's manual and put the ram in the correct slots.

When the ram is in I get no beeps or video. If I take ram out i'll get the standard 3 beeps. i'm assuming this means the motherboard is fine. I got frustrated and took out his video card and tried the same things. Still nothing. So I'm assuming the Videocard is fine as well. Also, because I am getting 3 beeps I believe this means it does go through post and the CPU is fine as well.

I do hear a faint clicking noise when it tries to start up but it's not successful in what it's trying to do. I even unplugged the HDD and I'm still getting the same thing.

The motherboard is an asus M4A89GTD Pro. Two of the red lights are on when I turn on the system. I don't know if this is good or bad but I glossed the manual and it seems these are just switch indicators.

I don't know what else to test but I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction. Right now I'm looking at buying a new motherboard for him I suppose.

I'm thinking the constant on and off power is what screwed it all up?

Edit: Spent the last 4 hours going through tech forums and trying fix's. This one seems the most reliable.

HugoStiglitz

Distinguished
it will check you RAM before your video card.

3 beeps the same is generally RAM
varied tone / length beeps would be Graphics Card.

Try removing the graphics card and boot your system (PLUG YOUR MONITOR INTO THE ONBOARD GRAPHICS)

sound like it might not be picking up ur graphics card and defaulting to the onboard, and because your monitor is not plugged into the onboard your not getting anything on the screen

cherndon

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2011

I wish this were the case because if it was I would at least be hearing the single beep that means everything started up correctly by I am not getting any beeps.