Info about new funcionality in a cellular phone

Last response: in Technologies
August 26, 2004 3:15:21 PM

Hi everybody!

I'm doing a project and i need help to continue. I hope somebody in
this forum can help me.

Ok, i'm going to explain the project. Basically, the thing that i want
to do is to put software in a cellular phone. I want that when a
cellular phone receives a certain sms, the phone does some action, for
example if the phone recives a sms with the first word "john", the
phone sends John a sms.

I have thought three ways to get this.

1.- Put software in the SIM Card. I have read that the SIM card has a
microcontroller and can run Java applications. The communication with
the terminal can be done using SIM Application Toolkit.

2.- Put software in the cellular phone. The cellular phone also has a
microcontroller and can execute code.

3.- Develop an own peripheral that communicates with the cellular
phones. This peripheral will read and write the Inbox and Outbox
respectively.

Problems and dudes:
* In option 1, how can i put software in the SIM card? how can i read a
sms to the inbox?

* In option 2, how can i put software in the cellular phone? how can i
read and write data in the GSM modem? can the software execute any
mobile action like unblock the keyboard?

* In option 3, can the peripheral communicate with the GSM modem using
AT commands o something like that? can i execute actions from the
peripheral?

I'm sorry if something isn't understand very well but it's my native
language.
Ok, thanks a lot and regards

--
enrique_pablo
August 26, 2004 4:52:39 PM

enrique_pablo wrote:
> Hi everybody!
>
> I'm doing a project and i need help to continue. I hope somebody in
> this forum can help me.
>
> Ok, i'm going to explain the project. Basically, the thing that i want
> to do is to put software in a cellular phone. I want that when a
> cellular phone receives a certain sms, the phone does some action, for
> example if the phone recives a sms with the first word "john", the
> phone sends John a sms.
>
> I have thought three ways to get this.
>
> 1.- Put software in the SIM Card. I have read that the SIM card has a
> microcontroller and can run Java applications. The communication with
> the terminal can be done using SIM Application Toolkit.

No it doesn't. SIM is just NV flash memory.

> 2.- Put software in the cellular phone. The cellular phone also has a
> microcontroller and can execute code.

Cell phones run their own firmware which (unless you work for the manufacturer) you do not have access to the source
code. In any case modyfying firmware would be very difficult.

Sometimes the firmware includes a Java Environment for running user apps, however the Java Environment at present
will not give the programmer access to any telephony systems in the phone. At best you might be able to read the phone
book and sms inbox

> 3.- Develop an own peripheral that communicates with the cellular
> phones. This peripheral will read and write the Inbox and Outbox
> respectively.

Yes! Do this! you can do this with the Gnokii software suite for linux. All you need is a data cable or bluetooth (if
your phone supports it... And it should becasue you posted to alt.cellular.bluetooth!! )

This would be relatively easy. You could run this on any PC with linux (choose a recent kernel and Bluez libs)

Or If you require a peripheral device instead of a PC you could try an Compaq Ipaq, a mini/micro/nano ATX board, a
gumstix.org board or any other embedded linux system to make an appliance rather than a PC system.

hth

Rob
!