Less then $500 upgrade.

Sorry if this is the wrong place to be asking, I don't know where else to go.

Approximate Purchase Date: Within a month

Budget Range: Less then $500 after rebates

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Battlefield 3 and other games.

Parts Not Required: Keyboard, Mouse, Monitor, Speakers, Win7, Case, PSU Corsair 1000w, Graphics card, CD/DVD Drives.

Parts Required: Motherboard, CPU, Ram

Preferred Website(s) for Parts:,

Country of Origin: US

Parts Preferences: by brand or type: Quad Core CPU

Overclocking: No.

SLI or Crossfire: yes, in the future.

Monitor Resolution: 2048x1152

Additional Comments: Right now I have a dual core CPU and it runs at 100% on BF3, I would like to get a quad core. Right now my board is a LAG 775, but I think it would be better to upgrade the mb/cpu/ram instead of just getting a Core 2 Quad.
6 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about less upgrade
  1. Best answer
    Yes, due to other performance gains from the architecture and memory controller you will get much more improvement upgrading to sandy bridge.
    Not to mention that any Core 2 Quads worth while would cost you about as much as a CPU+Mobo with sandy bridge.

CPU: i5 2500k $219.99
    Mobo: Asrock Z68 Extreme 3 Gen3 ~$130, Asrock Z68 Extreme 4 Gen3 ~$190
    Ram: Corsair/Gskill/Kingston/Mushkin 2x4GB 1.5V CAS9 1600Mhz - Like Gskill RipjawsX ~ $52
    CPU cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212+ (or EVO) $27-35

Even with the high end that's less than (219.99+190+51+35 = $497) $500.
  2. Best answer selected by JGBerger.
  3. Thank you both very much.
  4. he just wrote what i wrote
  5. I just bought an i5-2500k, z68ma-d2h-b3, corsair vengeance 8 gb today. it's running windows 7 64 bit with no video card and stock fan at 1080p with temps 34-40 C. i haven't tried playing a game on the intel graphics yet but i'm running prime95 with the stock fan while writing this, the temps are in the 70s. using price match with microcenter, it was $375 after tax and i have $25 in rebates to mail in.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems Product