Sign in with
Your question
Closed

General questions about SB i5 2500K VS IB i5 2500K?

Last response: in CPUs
December 31, 2011 4:29:43 PM

New member here and getting ready to put together a new build. I know that I have read on many different threads that the advice is to if possible it would be best to wait for the new Ivy Bridge i5 2500k chip rather than pull the trigger and use the current SB i5 2500k which is out now.

I guess that most importantly first off will Microsoft quit producing the current SB chip with the introduction of the new IB line?

I have always in the past been an AMD guy and will be doing my first intel build with this new rig and do not know what intels general practices are when they introduce a new line.

I know that of course the general consensus is that the newer line will offer improvements on speed but the actual improvements are rumoured to be from very slight to considerably faster, run lower wattages which should mean less heat and therefore perhaps be even better overclockers as a result.

I have also read some things somewhere that seem to point to the IB improvements will mainly be concerning onboard video of the chip and the actual speeds will be very similiar to the current SB chips out now.

I know that over the last year or so as I have tried to gain information to make the decision on the direction to go with a build that suites my needs that from a dollar/performance standpoint the SB i5 2500k across the board seems like a chip that overclocks fantastic with very stable results. Sure some chips will always be a bit better than others in a production run but in general most all of the chips seem to do well up to at least the 4.5 range which is a good solid improvement over stock clocks.

Now with the new line coming out and having a die shrink, wattage reduction and other changes would that not possibly affect the chips capabilty as far as being as good of an overclocker as the current generation chips? I know that this really will not have an answer until the chips hit the streets and builders start benching them but is it not somewhat of a gamble to just take for granted the new chips will behave and overclock as well as the the current line?

Now if Intel is a company that will continue making the SB i2500k as well as produce the IB i2500k then this is somewhat moot as either chip could still be purchased. But if Intel is like most companies and phase out the old line when they introduce the new maybe a recommendation to wait on what information is currently available would be questionable.

I am definately a noob in many aspects and my questions I am sure reflect that but I am trying to gain knowledge as I go! Thanks in advance for your answers and insights.
December 31, 2011 5:14:43 PM

First of all wish you a happy new year.
It is quiet obvious that intel would phase out svb when it release ivb because both have same socket and ivb is meant to replace svb at all price point.
Score
a b à CPUs
December 31, 2011 6:17:38 PM

There won't be a new 2500K; there will be various 3000-series models that will replace it.
Score
Related resources
a c 219 à CPUs
December 31, 2011 6:42:23 PM

It does take awhile for Intel to phase out a cpu and once they release the Ivy Bridge line you will still have the option to buy a Sandy bridge. They may at that point phase out an older line that does have some age on it , but I expect to be able to buy a Sandy Bridge for a few years anyway.
Score
a c 334 à CPUs
December 31, 2011 6:44:53 PM

Ivy bridge will be an incremental improvement. Per clock, we are looking at 10% or so improvement. I expect that the 22nm construction may give ivy bridge a bit better overclocking.

I expect them to sell at comparable prices to the current sandy bridge line. Retail will be a bit more for early adopters. The 2500K will still be produced for a while for the replacement and warranty needs.The retail prices may not drop much if the past is any indication. On the used market, the price will drop more when it needs to compete with a 3570K

The bottom line is, that if you need a 2500K class cpu today, there is not much value in waiting.
Score

Best solution

a b à CPUs
December 31, 2011 7:29:54 PM

ivy bridge will clock the same as current sandy bridge processors and bring next to no CPU improvements. The die shrink is just a die shrink and will just allow intel to lower the TPD on all the processors. The graphics will get a decent overhaul as its expected to be 50% faster than the HD 3000s.

You'd probably see no point in upgrading from a i5-2500k to the i5-3550k as they will be the same processor except it runs using less power.

I'd be surprised if Ivy is even 10% faster overall than sandy.
December 31, 2011 7:41:45 PM

Thanks for the responses guys. I did figure that the Sandy Bridge would be discontinued but being as I have always been an AMD guy in the past I had no idea how quickly a product may be phased out. I have seen in the past where a current line of higher performance vs pricing point cpu or gpu would become unavailable sometimes several months before the newer product was to be released as manufacturing was discontinued in preparation of the newly arriving product.

I know that some of you upgrade your rigs constantly where I build a completely new rig every 5 or 6 years and pretty well run it barring any failures like it is built during that time frame. I generally end up spending in the 2000.00 dollar or so range and try to buy the best performing parts that are within somewhat of a reasonable price range.

I have spent the last year or so studying different build recommendation threads and performance threads on different builds and with the general across the board success most have had with overclocking the i5 2500k Sandy Bridge with good solid stability had decided this was the best route to go for my uses.

Over the last few months I have seen more and more recommendation threads telling the posters to wait for Ivy Bridge and of course I started to read up and trying to learn more about the new chip. As time has passed it seems that the expectations for Ivy Bridge as far as performance has decreased some what from what the initial claimed over the current line chips.

As previously stated in the past I have seen where a current line of a really good chip would basically become unavailable it seemed overnight and after seeing build after build where the SB i2500k had such great results I had some concerns about speculating whether the new chips would be able to achieve those same stable gains across the production run. Sb does have a track record of being a solid performer while the jury will be out on IB until they hit the streets and people start clocking and stressing them.

Now granted if the SB chip is still available for sale after the IB release then this is a non issue. What raised my concern a bit is I have started to see some promo codes and such for the i5 2500k and really do not remember seeing those in the past so I was sort of concerned that these chips would just sort of vanish from the market quickly and if the IB was not as good of a performer then I would regret having waiting for the new chip.

In my case anyway I prefer to go with more of a proven performer and not knowing what the future availability of the i5 2500k may be went ahead and snagged one at a price I thought was okay. It will still be about 6-8 weeks before I have everything to complete my build but at this point my chip is decided. I will be going with a z68 motherboard so if IB does surprise then an easy upgrade path will already be in place.

Thanks for your answers guys, I was just more concerned that if the SB i5 2500k was indeed phased out prior to the release of the IB that many people seeking recommendations on what to buy and being told to wait for IB could end up missing out due to speculation over proven performance. I know this hobby is a crapshoot many times when it comes to new tech and the new tech sometimes has its own pitfalls.

Thanks again guys!

Score
a c 219 à CPUs
January 1, 2012 9:02:29 PM

Intel has a habit of keeping cpu's around for awhile and you can pretty much count on the Sandy Bridge being around for quite some time after Ivy Bridge is released. Intel has had too much success with that chip to make it just disappear overnight. It will see a price reduction but not as much as you might think Intel doesn't give thier product away.
Score
January 7, 2012 11:43:05 AM

inzone said:
Intel has a habit of keeping cpu's around for awhile and you can pretty much count on the Sandy Bridge being around for quite some time after Ivy Bridge is released. Intel has had too much success with that chip to make it just disappear overnight. It will see a price reduction but not as much as you might think Intel doesn't give thier product away.

I agree that as a whole that the Sandy Bridge line in general will be around for a while but was wondering more so if the better performing unlocked "k" chips out of the line will still be generally available?

Overclocks from 4.5 -5.0 have seemed to be pretty common with this chip with the 4.5 level pretty much seeming to be stabil almost across the board with these chips with the majority doing much better than the lower threshold. If the the new Ivy Bridge line cannot duplicate or exceed this type of overclocking success across the entire production run as we have seen with Sandy Bridge from a marketing standpoint would it be in Intels best interest to continue to produce an older technology chipset that outperforms what is supposed to now be their mainline affordable new technology?

Not to mention with the Sandy Bridge being based on a larger die size should that not as well cost Intel more to produce the chip per unit than the lower die sized Ivy Bridge?

I know that there are always high hopes for the newer technology and always wanting to see the newer perform better. But sometimes the newer really does not meet those expectations. Just looking at things from a marketing standpoint really I think that the i-2500k really is too good considering its pricing point. How many times have I read threads as to where unless you were to need the hyperthreading abilities of the i7-2600k that basically you would be wasting the extra 100.00 as the i5-2500k performed just as well where the hyperthreading was not required.

I know that if I was Intel I would want my higher line i7 chipset to outperform the the lower line i5 chip across the board to a level that just not the hyperthreading would have potential consumers ready and willing to pay the extra 100.00 for the higher line chip. Sure I want my i5 line to offer solid performance for the pricing point and to outperform rival manufacturers in the same level but not offer the same performance for less dollars as my higher line and somewhat moderately higher priced chip.

I would not be surprised that since the new Ivy bridge will operate at a lower wattage draw therefore being easier on the power bill if the focus on the the i5 line will be promoted as a "green" chip that has a lower operating cost while the i7 line will become "new' performance for the dollar line. From a bottom line profit standpoint it would make sense.

I know it will be a few months before we really know but I really do wonder if perhaps the i5-2500k turned out to be a bit better performance wise than what was intended for it to be. If the new Ivy Bridge comparable chip does not seem to clock as well across the board and the Sandy Bridge "k' chips disappear from the market then perhaps that was indeed the case. I do not think that is any doubt that for the money that the i5-2500k is probably the best performance chip for the dollar that has been on the market for some time.

Score
a c 478 à CPUs
January 7, 2012 12:09:38 PM

I expect CPU performance to be no more than around 6% for IB (at the same clockspeed). However, the integrated Intel HD 4000 graphics core is expected to be about 60% faster than the current Intel HD 3000.

Due to the smaller die size, IB CPUs will probably have higher stock clockspeeds and may offer a little better overclocking potential.

You can consider IB as a test case scenario for Haswell. Both of those CPUs will be using the 22mm die size so the manufacturing process can be tweaked / optimized during the production of IB so that Intel is less likely to run into production issues with Haswell.
Score
a b à CPUs
January 7, 2012 12:14:10 PM

I don't think Intel really cares if their mainstream i5 nearly matches their mainstream i7 for $100 less. The more expensive chip already doesn't have much of a market when it's priced at $300, so it will only be bought by people that can really use it.

The SB-E line has two six cores that perform nearly identical at stock, and Intel charges $600-700 for one and $1k for another.

Intel has constantly improved performance each new generation since Core 2, so I would expect Ivy Bridge to bring about more improvements.

The 2500k is the best performance per dollar x86 chip out there right now, but Ivy Bridge having the new 3D tri-gate transistors should see some gains in efficiency and at least hold the performance line.

A day and a quarter to go until Ivy Bridge is supposed to be on the market. The nice part about the Ivy Bridge release is that the mobos will have upgraded chipsets with usb 3.0 integrated into the chipset and Ivy will have pci-e 3.0, but that is quite a ways away. If you can hold out, I would say you are more likely to be glad you waited.
Score
a b à CPUs
January 7, 2012 1:39:55 PM

A larger die size will practically always cost more to produce, I think, as the smaller sizes are less mature technologies and take more precision.
Score
January 17, 2012 11:02:53 AM

Best answer selected by vfourmax.
Score
!