Can these PSU's handle an HD 6770?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aperis

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2011
Being a first time builder, i have almost no knowledge about power supplies requirements, or what 12v rails and all this hooey even means, so i have some questions..
will these two power supplies...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817171060
and
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817152028
handle this..
graphics card - Radeon HD 6770
cpu - Anthlon II X4 640 (4core)
RAM - 4gb (2x2g) DDR3 @ 1333mhz
one HDD
one DVD/CD burner
one PCI wireless adapter

AND if the can run this build, which one would be better for me? Which is more reliable? Is 530w too much? is 450 not enough?
Thank you in advance

Solution
Either one should have the power needed, Raidmax and even Cooler masters lower end are not always recommend, but as long as they deliver the labeled current, i see no reason for the system to not have enough power(your system should not max out either unit).

I do not like that Raidmax does not show a combined power for its 12 volt rails, but it may be the design is actually a big 12 volt rail with both rails being able to hit max, but without an actual number, its a bit harder. The lack of auto select for 120-240 volt AC is another not so good sign

The cooler master lists a better efficiency and should run cooler and draw less power from the wall.

A 6770 is not a power hungry card by any means, neither is your cpu(its not super low...
Either one should have the power needed, Raidmax and even Cooler masters lower end are not always recommend, but as long as they deliver the labeled current, i see no reason for the system to not have enough power(your system should not max out either unit).

I do not like that Raidmax does not show a combined power for its 12 volt rails, but it may be the design is actually a big 12 volt rail with both rails being able to hit max, but without an actual number, its a bit harder. The lack of auto select for 120-240 volt AC is another not so good sign

The cooler master lists a better efficiency and should run cooler and draw less power from the wall.

A 6770 is not a power hungry card by any means, neither is your cpu(its not super low powered, but its not a power hog either).

I would estimate your system would not draw over 250 watts on the 12 volt rails at a very high load. I am NOT saying to get a 250 watt power supply.

If you do not plan many upgrades or massive overclocking, you should be fine, but if you plan some upgrades, look at some of the more expensive units from Antec/Corsair/Seasonic ect. They cost more now, but can be used for your next system.

Solution

aperis

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2011
Thank you a lot Nuke. would you go ahead ans say get the coolermaster (i was a bit skeptical about the raidmax, so thanks for that clarification), or would you recommend a different PSU. i am trying to stay under $50 with this, and a newegg link would be appreciated. Thanks again

If you could stretch for a bit more, maybe this. Should literally run your system 2 times over(maybe even 3 if you are not max load :) ).

$60 down from $117 with a 5 year warranty. I have had no problems with NCIX in Canada, so i would guess there US site should be equally good.

http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=25984&vpn=CMPSU-550VX&manufacture=Corsair&promoid=1301

I think it is a clearance sale, but still a good unit.

Edit, if you want to shop just newegg, let me know, but that is a good deal and by my own 5770(same as a 6770) results is way more then enough to run the card

Headspin_69

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2011

Yes easy they wont even break a sweat.

Status
Not open for further replies.