A long video card (GV-R687OC-1GD) in Antec Three Hundred cage?

interfan7

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2011
Hello guys,

I'm very sad to see that the space in the cage between the expansion slots and the HDD bay is less than 28cm while the length of the video card I want to purchase (http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3663#sp) written to be 29cm.

Is there anyone who has a system contain these two?

It can be very helpful if someone has (the user doobyScoob seem to have it but he's yet to reply to me) and can tell me how he managed to do it.

BTW because of this I find Antec Three Hundreds unrecommanded. The HDD bay being un-removable is a visible disadvantage for a gamer.

interfan7

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2011
This card currently presents the best cost/performance possibility I have.

Had the HDD bay been 5.25" it would "slot inside", but since it's 3.5" the deeper side of the bay shall be in the way of the graphics card (they pependicular to each other). In your photto the card doesn't even reach the bay.

AdrianPerry

Distinguished

The card doesn't reach the bay because its a different card. As you can see the ruler the guy is holding follows the side of the card and slots into the bay. This is basically representing where a longer card would go.

AdrianPerry

Distinguished

In that case, without cutting out a slot into the HDD bays, it simply isn't going to fit. Your cant physically shove something into a space when the space is smaller than the thing your trying to put in it - especially in the case of your GPU.

I still don't understand what's wrong with using a standard size 6870. The Sapphire/HIS/XFX models all have an identical clock speed 900MHz (15MHz less than the one you listed), which isn't even enough to add 1 FPS.

MidKnightSecs

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2009
I had to bend the HDD cage in my RaidMax to get it to fit just to test the damn thing.

Once tested I went ahead and cut one HDD slot out of it allowing me the room I needed for the card. I'm happy I didn't try for Crossfire here or I would be screwed. I'd need an ATX case.

Otherwise this is pixel for pixel the best bang for the buck card I have EVER bought. I was going to go 560 TI as I wanted PhysX support, but my gut told me the cheaper card was not necessarily the worse card. I was right. @ $168 shipped overnight it is awesome.

So in all I am more than happy and capable to play DX 9,10 and 11 games at good framerates in Hi-Res.

There is only one dissapoinment here. The card supports 3D but does not supply software or peripherals to support it.

That's it.

Also Gigabyte screwed up and I didn't get a DVI dongle, but then I have about 1000 of them anyway. Lolz...oh yeah they put a 5800 driver disc in it and I bypassed that and Dled the content.
Sad though is that if I did not have an Interwebz connect I would have been screwed for drivers.

TY

~CCOONAN

Latest posts