Ripjaw X... Ares... Sniper... all the same timings/speed

brisa117

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010
Hey guys,

So I'm looking to purchase a 32GB kit of DDR3 1866 (or possibly just 1600mhz) for my desktop which I use for gaming and video editing. I know that this amount of RAM is overkill for most applications, but I will utilize it for video editing. Specifically, I will be creating a large ramdisk for some 1080p video projects I have. Anyways...

I have been searching and came across these:

G.Skill Ripjaws X http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231562&name=Desktop-Memory

G.Skill Ares http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231561&name=Desktop-Memory

G.Skill Sniper http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231612&name=Desktop-Memory

G.Skill Ripjaws Z http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231529&name=Desktop-Memory

Basically, I have read in my search that the difference between the branding is usually the timing, speed, or voltage... but they're all the same. I understand that some of them are quad-channel vs. dual-channel kits, but other than that, am I just picking the best color???

Putting these in an Asus Sabertooth 990FX AM3+ board. Also, I know that my CPU is restraining the ram speed at the moment, but I will also be upgrading when the Vishera CPUs are released.

Solution
Under the heat spreader, those are all likely to be the same thing.

I have Ripjaws X and they work fine so far(only 2 sticks 1600 10-10-10-30 @ 1333 8-9-8-24 for now).

The G.SKILL Ares seem like decent low profile.

Timings on bigger sticks(Like those 8gigabyte/stick) are not as nice as the 4 and 2 gigabyte sticks.

I like that you are getting a full kits of 32gigabytes because sometimes matching kits can cause problems.
D

Deleted member 217926

With an AMD system it will not matter one bit. The Ripjaws is better than the Ares for Intel based systems though due to the lower system agent voltage required. Dual vs quad channel is marketing speak and meaningless.

Under the heat spreader, those are all likely to be the same thing.

I have Ripjaws X and they work fine so far(only 2 sticks 1600 10-10-10-30 @ 1333 8-9-8-24 for now).

The G.SKILL Ares seem like decent low profile.

Timings on bigger sticks(Like those 8gigabyte/stick) are not as nice as the 4 and 2 gigabyte sticks.

I like that you are getting a full kits of 32gigabytes because sometimes matching kits can cause problems.

Solution

brisa117

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010
Yeah, I've had problems in the past with mismatching DIMMS... I mean, they've always worked, but there's like no chance of changing settings unless you have a really nice motherboard.

Anyways, I know that with the Intel chips, you don't see amazing gains when you throw higher clocked ram at it, but that you do see significant gains with Llano. Does this increase transfer to bulldozer/piledriver-vishera

D

Deleted member 217926

You only see real gains with an APU. No CPU from Intel or AMD really needs anything faster than DDR3 1600. Anandtech did do a pretty interesting article a few days ago about Ivy Bridge and recommending DDR3 1866 for it though.

D

Deleted member 217926

^ Only applies to Ivy Bridge though. OP has an AMD system.

brisa117

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010
Haha. I have an ivybridge system too : P And I actually read this article while looking for the answer to my branding confusion. Good article.

But for the Vishera (FX-8350) that I'll be picking up, would you guys suggest picking up 32GB of DDR3-1600 instead to save a few bucks? Or just spend a little extra for the 1866?

Until Piledriver comes out and we see some benches on it, we just don't know what faster memory will do (probably not much). I know I would never buy a kit over 1866 as it only serves a purpose in benchmarks (and Maya according to that article) and is marketing to get people to buy stuff they don't actually need. I will be sticking with 1600mhz myself.

brisa117

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010

Thanks for the link. That story was immensely helpful, especially since that's the exact motherboard I have. Guess I'll just have to wait for some info on piledriver. Although my gut says I can't go wrong with the 1866 kits. Even if piledriver doesn't utilize it, my next build might. Thanks againe everyone!