Sign in with
Your question

Newcomer: Non Gamer build suggestions

Last response: in Systems
September 30, 2011 1:06:34 PM

I'm a newcomer, definitely not a gamer but would like to build a really good quality, dependable, fast system without overspending. Would like to spend between $500 - $600. Already have a good monitor, mouse, keyboard, Office 2010 (32bit) & Windows 7 professional discs. Would like to go with a AMD Phenom II processor, on board video. I would use it for Internet, light office work at home etc. What would you suggest? Thanks in advance.
September 30, 2011 1:25:11 PM

Hi,
If it were me I would go for an intel e5800 or 5300 2gb of ram 1gb x 2 sticks and an Asus or Asrock main board, it's the specs I build for alot of customers and never had a complain and I mostly use Asrock G41M-VS3 chipset boards they support DDR3 memory which are ver cheap and the MB itself is very reliable in my experience and it will suffice your needs.
m
l
September 30, 2011 5:16:08 PM

phaisal said:
Hi,
If it were me I would go for an intel e5800 or 5300 2gb of ram 1gb x 2 sticks and an Asus or Asrock main board, it's the specs I build for alot of customers and never had a complain and I mostly use Asrock G41M-VS3 chipset boards they support DDR3 memory which are ver cheap and the MB itself is very reliable in my experience and it will suffice your needs.

That's pretty old, and while it does work, it's hard to find a lot of those parts.

@OP: I'd suggest either an i3-2100 or an AMD Llano build - they'd give you the best performance for the $ IMHO.
m
l
Related resources
September 30, 2011 5:46:54 PM

You can get any sandy bridge duo processor between $50 and $125. They run faster and cooler per clock than amd due to the 32nm process.
It will include integrated graphics that is comparable to a $50 graphics card. That is enough for HD playback or anything but fast action games.
You will find clock rates between 2.4 and 3.1. Even 2.4 is plenty for your needs. The real limitation will be the speed of your hard drive.

Larger hard drives are faster because they are denser. Look at a WD caviar black or Samsung 1tb drive, even if you don't need the space.

Spend a bit extra for a SSD for the os, and a few apps. Everything will feel much faster.
40gb is ok for the OS and not much else, 60-80gb will be ok if you add some apps. Use a larger hard drive for overflow and storage.
Any will do, expect to pay about $2 per gb. Prices aree coming down due to competition.
Get 4gb at least. But, ram is so cheap, consider a 8gb kit of 2 x 4gb.
m
l
September 30, 2011 6:38:14 PM

I'd recommend you a Sandy Bridge i3 build. Consumes lesser power than Phenom II lineup due to newer 32nm architecture. Its faster per clock compared to Phenom, games better, compresses files and folders better, transcodes videos with Quick Sync better.

Processor : Intel Core i3 2100 - $125
Motherboard : ASRock Extreme3 Gen3 Z68 - $120
RAM : Crucial Ballistix 2x2GB DDR3 1333 - $25
Hard Drive : Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB - $60
Optical Drive : LG 24X DVD Burner - $20
PSU : XIGMATEK NRP-PC Series ACXTNRP-PC402 400W - $35
Case : NZXT Gamma Classic Series GAMA-001BK - $35

Total : $420 before rebates
m
l
!