Intel CPU's Rendering!

Hello,


So I have been told that I can't spend £400 updating my computer my mum lol. I have the money but she would rather me save. :pfff: :pfff: :pfff: So I either get a 2500k or wait to get a 2600k not sure how much of waiting. Would I notice a difference from the 2500k to the 2600k in video editing/rendering I would overclock them both to around 4.2 with the Noctua NH D14.

Current build

AMD Phenom x6 2.8GHz
Noctua NH-D14
RAM 4GB DDR3
GTX 460
Corsair 750w

And I was going to upgrade to this
2600k
ASUS 1155 P8Z68-V PRO
8GB Rip jaws RAM

Well seems like this might be out of the question. I don't want to overclock my AMD because I did it once and it failed a did not boot for 9 hours lol worst 9 hours of my life. What do I do?! get 2500k or save and wait for 2600k and I would rather you did not say wait for ivy bridge. that will be even more money lol

Anyway cheers guys any input is much helpful. I wonder if I should upgrade current build instead?! To many things to think about input needed lol
76 answers Last reply
More about intel rendering
  1. What program do you use? I believe most programs are now gpu accelerated, I would invest in getting a higher end gpu as well.
  2. amuffin said:
    What program do you use? I believe most programs are now gpu accelerated, I would invest in getting a higher end gpu as well.


    Sony Vegas 64bit takes about 50 minutes to render a 15 min video on a six core. However it's has about 200 sections of video.
  3. DO you have gpu rendering enabled? My setup with gpu rendering can render an 8gb file in 2-5min :O In the end you may not even have to upgrade to an i7.
  4. amuffin said:
    DO you have gpu rendering enabled? My setup with gpu rendering can render an 8gb file in 2-5min :O In the end you may not even have to upgrade to an i7.


    How do I do that lol?
  5. No, Ivy Bridge should take the place of a SB CPUs prices from what I read on a Tom's article. But, I would get a 2600k for video rendering. I believe that it helps a lot.
  6. For video editing the 2600k/2700k and a CUDA enabled (nVidia) GFX card.
  7. I'd think you'd see no point in upgrading from a phenom x6 to a 2500k for video rendering. They are pretty even but the phenom is actually faster sometimes.

    gpu rendering will help a lot more.
  8. Upgrade to a what I'm currently sitting on a Superclocked GTX 460? How about maybe a
    SSD For Boot and Vegas
    500GB for all other Programs
    then an old 240GB for rendering videos to?
  9. i7-2600k, mobo, another 460 for sli?
  10. that sounds like a better upgrade. also get more ram, ram help video rendering a lot.

    try to get as much as it as you can lol.
  11. amuffin said:
    i7-2600k, mobo, another 460 for sli?


    If my mum said not to £400 how can we justify saying add another £100 on there lol
  12. majorgibly said:
    How do I do that lol?

    What version of vegas do u have? when you hit render and your options pop up, select sony avc/mvc and change the encode mode to render using gpu if available. (also change the format to avc)
  13. amuffin said:
    What version of vegas do u have? when you hit render and your options pop up, select sony avc/mvc and change the encode mode to render using gpu if available. (also change the format to avc)


    I'm using sony vegas 10 64 bit I normally use Window Video or w.e it's called lol
  14. majorgibly said:
    I'm using sony vegas 10 64 bit I normally use Window Video or w.e it's called lol

    No use sony avc/mvc, smaller file, better quality, and faster rendering! Try it out :D
  15. I have Sony AVC and format AVC. Just waiting for the Appox time...around 24 min it says let me go back to my old setings and try.
  16. majorgibly said:
    I have Sony AVC and format AVC. Just waiting for the Appox time...around 24 min it says let me go back to my old setings and try.

    Did you change the encode mode to render using gpu if available?
  17. So thats more like 30 minutes by the time it's done it's stuff
  18. Okay shaved 4 minutes off
  19. amuffin said:
    Did you change the encode mode to render using gpu if available?


    Could not find this special mode you speak of lol where about is it? Do we have same SV?
  20. amuffin said:
    Did you change the encode mode to render using gpu if available?


    So where is the GPU think, is it a clickable option? Could you print screen to for me please.
  21. majorgibly said:
    So where is the GPU think, is it a clickable option? Could you print screen to for me please.

    http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/638/92243695.png/
  22. amuffin said:


    Will that use the GPU and the CPU or just one?
  23. it will use both, which ever is fastest.
  24. esrever said:
    it will use both, which ever is fastest.


    Hmmm, it does not seem to be maxing out my Six core at all. Usage is around 45% on all 6 cores...
  25. majorgibly said:
    Hmmm, it does not seem to be maxing out my Six core at all. Usage is around 45% on all 6 cores...

    It should be rendering much faster though.
  26. amuffin said:
    It should be rendering much faster though.


    Well just tested a quick 1 minute clip.

    The GPU one (SONY AVC) Did the render in 2:21

    Old render settings WMV 3:07

    So knocked some time off, I fail to see how a 6 core processor is so slow at rendering lol. Maybe an overclock may benefit. But as I said. I'm scared lol
  27. rendering very easy for a gpu as it is designed to do image tasks and video tasks.

    CPUs are general purpose and does everything okayly.
  28. majorgibly said:
    Well just tested a quick 1 minute clip.

    The GPU one (SONY AVC) Did the render in 2:21

    Old render settings WMV 3:07

    So knocked some time off, I fail to see how a 6 core processor is so slow at rendering lol. Maybe an overclock may benefit. But as I said. I'm scared lol

    1st overclock your gpu, you should see it render a bit faster. Then overclock your cpu, everything should be slightly faster.
  29. esrever said:
    rendering very easy for a gpu as it is designed to do image tasks and video tasks.

    CPUs are general purpose and does everything okayly.


    I'm still surprised at the six core's performance bought it for rendering at it only beats my dual core athlon by 15 minutes lol. You guys think overclock could benefit?
  30. amuffin said:
    1st overclock your gpu, you should see it render a bit faster. Then overclock your cpu, everything should be slightly faster.


    It's already Superclocked it says 900MHz or something like that.
  31. majorgibly said:
    It's already Superclocked it says 900MHz or something like that.

    You can oc even more! ^_^ Get a program like msi afterburner or evga precision and oc! Also overclock your cpu, it will help tons and tons.
  32. amuffin said:
    You can oc even more! ^_^ Get a program like msi afterburner or evga precision and oc! Also overclock your cpu, it will help tons and tons.


    I never OC'ed the card, the manufacture did it. As for the CPU I was wondering how far I can go without changing voltage?
  33. majorgibly said:
    I never OC'ed the card, the manufacture did it. As for the CPU I was wondering how far I can go without changing voltage?

    Evga im guessing? It doesn't hurt to oc though.
  34. amuffin said:
    Evga im guessing? It doesn't hurt to oc though.


    Apart from the card could die lol. Any idea on my other question how far I can go on stock voltage
  35. majorgibly said:
    Apart from the card could die lol. Any idea on my other question how far I can go on stock voltage

    As long as you have lower temps oc doesn't hurt, im not sure as i don't have a amd cpu so idk how much :P btw what cooler?
  36. The Beast I like to call him. Real name Noctua NH D14
  37. majorgibly said:
    The Beast I like to call him. Real name Noctua NH D14

    Oh i missed that, which phenom do you have exactly? You should be able to hit 4ghz no problem with the nh-d14. Just make sure temps are under 70C
  38. amuffin said:
    Oh i missed that, which phenom do you have exactly? You should be able to hit 4ghz no problem with the nh-d14. Just make sure temps are under 70C


    Phenom II X6 1055t
  39. I might be able to pull a 2600k if I could find a cheaper motherboard than £139.99
  40. These are my recommendations (I also do a lot of video rendering but with adobe premiere pro). I am not that familiar with Vegas or amd CPUs so take this with a pinch of salt.

    For CPU rendering, number of cores is very important. An i5 2500k won't be much improvement on your 6 core phenom even when overclocked. An i7 2600k will do better because of hyperthreading. However, the improvement will be limited by the fact that you only have 4 cores versus the 6 you already have. If you are going to use CPU rendering then I would suggest a faster Amd processor will give you more bang for buck. A 6 core black edition would be a good upgrade. If your mobo supports it, you are precisely the sort of person who would see the very real benefits of the new 8 core bulldozer architecture. This can be overclocked to a huge extent and without worry.

    For gpu rendering, all I can say is that from my experience with premiere pro, don't bother. Yes, you will see massive speed gains, and even more if you get a faster gpu but the output options are limited, the quality is suspect and the software unstable. My system can support gpu rendering but I only use it for rough draft work. (Btw on one of your other points, low CPU utilisation when you are gpu rendering is normal. The reasons are quite obvious if you think about it. Also, the software cannot support sli so don't bother with that).

    So in summary, my advice is Bulldozer is the ideal upgrade for you. And get as much RAM as you can.
  41. bwrlane said:
    These are my recommendations (I also do a lot of video rendering but with adobe premiere pro). I am not that familiar with Vegas or amd CPUs so take this with a pinch of salt.

    For CPU rendering, number of cores is very important. An i5 2500k won't be much improvement on your 6 core phenom even when overclocked. An i7 2600k will do better because of hyperthreading. However, the improvement will be limited by the fact that you only have 4 cores versus the 6 you already have. If you are going to use CPU rendering then I would suggest a faster Amd processor will give you more bang for buck. A 6 core black edition would be a good upgrade. If your mobo supports it, you are precisely the sort of person who would see the very real benefits of the new 8 core bulldozer architecture. This can be overclocked to a huge extent and without worry.

    For gpu rendering, all I can say is that from my experience with premiere pro, don't bother. Yes, you will see massive speed gains, and even more if you get a faster gpu but the output options are limited, the quality is suspect and the software unstable. My system can support gpu rendering but I only use it for rough draft work. (Btw on one of your other points, low CPU utilisation when you are gpu rendering is normal. The reasons are quite obvious if you think about it. Also, the software cannot support sli so don't bother with that).

    So in summary, my advice is Bulldozer is the ideal upgrade for you. And get as much RAM as you can.


    Do you recommend a motherboard? Cheaper than £139.99
  42. majorgibly said:
    Do you recommend a motherboard? Cheaper than £139.99

    Asrock z68 extreme 3 gen3, though I dun know if you guys have these boards in the uk :/
  43. Don't know as I'm not familiar with amd CPUs or mobos. Mobo upgrade never yields much benefit in itself - only worthwhile if necessary to upgrade your CPU. What CPU upgrades does your current one allow? Best bang for buck to stick with that one if you can.
  44. amuffin said:
    Asrock z68 extreme 3 gen3, though I dun know if you guys have these boards in the uk :/


    Yep we can get pretty much anything here. Only relevant if going for intel though. Not sure I'd recommend this given OP's requirements
  45. Nah guys I might be about to push a 2600k if I get a cheaper motherboard.
  46. But I need one lol
  47. majorgibly said:
    But I need one lol

    asrock z68 extreme 3 gen 3 :P
  48. I own the ASROCK Extreme3 gen3 and I love it. I have my 2500k @ 4.4Ghz and it is a pretty good board for OCing. Lots of features. Also, it supports SLi for an extra GTX 460 to help render quicker. It plays up with the big boys for a very modest price. :)

    Also, I would suggest more RAM for video rendering, as you only have 4gb. I would grab another 8gb kit if I were you.
  49. HostileDonut said:
    I own the ASROCK Extreme3 gen3 and I love it. I have my 2500k @ 4.4Ghz and it is a pretty good board for OCing. Lots of features. Also, it supports SLi for an extra GTX 460 to help render quicker. It plays up with the big boys for a very modest price. :)

    Also, I would suggest more RAM for video rendering, as you only have 4gb. I would grab another 8gb kit if I were you.


    I have 8GB dude.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Rendering Product