How does ASUS Crash Free BIOS 3 Work?

I wonder how does ASUS Crash Free BIOS 3 work? Does it work from something independent of the BIOS itself? Since if the BIOS is corrupt, how does anything run from it? I have an ASUS H67M which I might have accidentally flashed with the BIOS ROM for the PRO version, my mistake, I know. But now, should Crash Free BIOS run? I expect so? But I don't see anything when I start my PC, what might be the problem?
Reply to jiewmeng
14 answers Last reply
More about asus crash free bios work
  1. There might be hardware issue. You should flash your bios carefully.
    Reply to mubin
  2. Yes I understand I should have been more careful. I think what happened was I googled "ASUS H67-M" then the 1st result was with PRO but I probably didn't notice. Too much trust in Google ... the download BIOS and flash ...

But the point of the question is to understand why might this feature not be working? Is it flawed? I know I might have flashed the wrong BIOS, but I think CrashFree should detect that BIOS is not working and kick in? My guess is CrashFree is part of the BIOS or something?

Looks like Gigabyte's DualBIOS is more reliable in this case as its a duplicate physical hardware chip?
    Reply to jiewmeng
  3. To use crashfree bios 3, you need to insert asus support dvd or USB drive that contain bios file. Then utility system automatically check for bios file and start EZ flash 2 utility. After bios flash, always us load default setting.

And yes Gigabyte has backup bios to recover it successfully if main bios is corrupt.
    Reply to mubin
  4. I tried downloading BIOS, renamed it and put it in a FAT32 thumb drive boot nothing happens, nothing on screen. I think I should see the CrashFree BIOS messages on screen telling me to do something even when I didn't connect any USB or put in any CD?
    Reply to jiewmeng
  5. Try with not renaming it. If not telling anything from bios then you should RMA the mobo.
    Reply to mubin
  6. By If not telling anything, I suppose you mean if the BIOS screen does not appear? If I dont plug in anything (flash drive) should I at least see some "BIOS corrupt" message?
    Reply to jiewmeng
  7. Depends on bios type. Do you see anything in screen after boot or after asus support dvd insert?
    Reply to mubin
  8. I dont have the DVD (probably lost it), but I did try the USB route which is supposed to work? Nothing on screen whether or not I plug in the USB
    Reply to jiewmeng
  9. You should RMA it then.

Unless there is necessary, dont do bios update. It will not increase system performance as driver do. Just for better cpu support and feature update. If you are fine with hardware, then dont do bios update.
    Reply to mubin
  10. I was thinking the slow POST sometimes might be because of BIOS, noticed it seems to have something to do with Walcom Tablet plugged in. So I tried doing an update ... thinking it might help. The ASUS website did mention something about increased USB compatibility.
    Reply to jiewmeng
  11. jiewmeng said:
    I wonder how does ASUS Crash Free BIOS 3 work? Does it work from something independent of the BIOS itself? Since if the BIOS is corrupt, how does anything run from it? I have an ASUS H67M which I might have accidentally flashed with the BIOS ROM for the PRO version, my mistake, I know. But now, should Crash Free BIOS run? I expect so? But I don't see anything when I start my PC, what might be the problem?

To use asus's crash free bios 3 you must:

Insert the Support Disc into the optical drive or insert a usb with the bios file inside

You must use vga or dvi directly plugged in into the motherboard

After CrashFree BIOS 3 starts working, you will hear 2 short "beeps" sound indicating that the BIOS file is recognized. If you hear 5 short "beeps", it mean no BIOS file is found. Please check whether the Support Disc is the right one for your motherboard, or make sure your optical drive is fully functional.
    After hearing 2 short beeps, please wait 4 minutes for the CrashFree BIOS 3 operation to complete.
    Restart your system.
    Reply to Jonathan Fallon
  12. Does it mean that CrashFree BIOS 3 is also on the motherboard but not part of the BIOS?
    Reply to Matthew Wai
  13. READ THIS !!!! From ASUS : SAMPLE No display through DVI/HDMI during CrashFree3 operation I am using the M4A89GTD Pro onboard DVI output on this motherboard. Everything works fine until yesterday. When I turned on my computer yesterday, there is no display on screen. The system gave 5 short beeps, then nothing is happening. I did some troubleshooting. When I switch the VGA to D-sub connector, I can see the CrashFree BIOS 3 operation on the screen. It looks like I don't get display through DVI or HDMI output during CrashFree BIOS 3. Is this normal? This is normal. Due to BIOS size limitation, if you use the onboard HDMI/DVI ouput, there will not be display during the operation of CrashFree BIOS 3. Instead we use audio prompts to indicates the status of CrashFree BIOS 3. For CrashFree BIOS 3 operation without the display, please refer to the following procedures. Recovering the BIOS from the Support Disc: 1. Insert the Support Disc into the optical drive. 2. After CrashFree BIOS 3 starts working, you will hear 2 short "beeps" sound indicating that the BIOS file is recognized. If you hear 5 short "beeps", it mean no BIOS file is found. Please check whether the Support Disc is the right one for your motherboard, or make sure your optical drive is fully functional. 3. After hearing 2 short beeps, please wait 4 minutes for the CrashFree BIOS 3 operation to complete. 4. Restart your system. Recover the BIOS from the floppy disk or the USB flash disk: 1. Please download the BIOS file from ASUS official download site and rename it according to the screenshot illustrated in the manual under CrashFree BIOS 3 section. For example, please rename M3N78-EM BIOS to "M3N78EM.ROM", and copy the BIOS file to the floppy disk or the USB flash disk. 2. Insert the floppy disk into the floppy disk drive or the USB flash disk to the USB port. 3. After CrashFree BIOS 3 starts working, you will hear 2 short "beeps" sound indicating that the BIOS file is recognized. If you hear 5 short "beeps", it mean no BIOS file is found. Please check the floppy disk or the USB flash disk as well as the devices. 4. After hearing 2 short beeps, please wait 4 minutes for the CrashFree BIOS 3 operation to complete. 5. Restart your system. Note: * The power button and Ctrl+Alt+Del combo will be locked during the CrashFree BIOS 3 operation. * If you lose AC power during the CrashFree BIOS 3 operation, CrashFree BIOS 3 function will resume in the next bootup. * For the easiness of operation, it is recommended to use the D-sub output during the CrashFree BIOS 3 operation.
    Reply to harley_10
  14. harley_10 said:
    READ THIS !!!! From ASUS : SAMPLE No display through DVI/HDMI during CrashFree3 operation I am using the M4A89GTD Pro onboard DVI output on this motherboard. Everything works fine until yesterday. When I turned on my computer yesterday, there is no display on screen. The system gave 5 short beeps, then nothing is happening. I did some troubleshooting. When I switch the VGA to D-sub connector, I can see the CrashFree BIOS 3 operation on the screen. It looks like I don't get display through DVI or HDMI output during CrashFree BIOS 3. Is this normal? This is normal. Due to BIOS size limitation, if you use the onboard HDMI/DVI ouput, there will not be display during the operation of CrashFree BIOS 3. Instead we use audio prompts to indicates the status of CrashFree BIOS 3. For CrashFree BIOS 3 operation without the display, please refer to the following procedures. Recovering the BIOS from the Support Disc: 1. Insert the Support Disc into the optical drive. 2. After CrashFree BIOS 3 starts working, you will hear 2 short "beeps" sound indicating that the BIOS file is recognized. If you hear 5 short "beeps", it mean no BIOS file is found. Please check whether the Support Disc is the right one for your motherboard, or make sure your optical drive is fully functional. 3. After hearing 2 short beeps, please wait 4 minutes for the CrashFree BIOS 3 operation to complete. 4. Restart your system. Recover the BIOS from the floppy disk or the USB flash disk: 1. Please download the BIOS file from ASUS official download site and rename it according to the screenshot illustrated in the manual under CrashFree BIOS 3 section. For example, please rename M3N78-EM BIOS to "M3N78EM.ROM", and copy the BIOS file to the floppy disk or the USB flash disk. 2. Insert the floppy disk into the floppy disk drive or the USB flash disk to the USB port. 3. After CrashFree BIOS 3 starts working, you will hear 2 short "beeps" sound indicating that the BIOS file is recognized. If you hear 5 short "beeps", it mean no BIOS file is found. Please check the floppy disk or the USB flash disk as well as the devices. 4. After hearing 2 short beeps, please wait 4 minutes for the CrashFree BIOS 3 operation to complete. 5. Restart your system. Note: * The power button and Ctrl+Alt+Del combo will be locked during the CrashFree BIOS 3 operation. * If you lose AC power during the CrashFree BIOS 3 operation, CrashFree BIOS 3 function will resume in the next bootup. * For the easiness of operation, it is recommended to use the D-sub output during the CrashFree BIOS 3 operation.

Please use paragraphs.
    Reply to Jerk Viewer
Ask a new question Answer

Read More

Asus BIOS Crash Motherboards