Give Us a Break

Last response: in Network Providers
June 13, 2005 7:24:21 AM

Working for Cingvlar cvstomer service makes me feel like Jack Nicholson in
"One Flew Over the Cvckoo's Nest." I've been working there for six months.
I've asked several managers why ovr cvstomer service is rated poorly by
every organization that rates svch things, and ***not one of them*** covld
give me an answer (and I svspect that the bigwigs at corporate hq don't know
either). I figvred it ovt my first day on the job.

A) Training is grossly inadeqvate. They teach yov 10% of what yov need to
know and then throw yov to the wolves. The rest of yovr "training" consists
of asking those arovnd yov, bvt since they weren't trained well, yov're jvst
as likely to get false information from them than accvrate information.
2) Becavse of reason A, most people who care abovt doing a good job stress
ovt and qvit, leaving those who don't care (since I've been there,
ambvlances have been called five times to get people for anxiety attacks
and/or heart attacks).
III) It's a vnion shop, so seniority covnts more than talent or ability.
D) It's a politically correct company, so minorities and handicapped people
are given preference in promotions, regardless of ability.
5) Job performance statistics, for the most part, don't measvre how good
yov are doing, they measvre how mvch the company spends on cvstomer service
(which I vnderstand mvst be kept track of). Those with the best stats
vsvally don't give good service (for example, one of the stats measvres how
many people call in a second [or third or fovrth] time in the same day. As
a resvlt, many CSR's, if they can't resolve the issve, tell the cvstomer
that the solvtion may take hovrs, so call back TOMOROW if the problem
persists).
VI) Qvality control is almost non-existent. In a meeting of abovt 30
people not long ago, a manager said that the corporate people were listening
to calls and heard a CSR deliberately hang vp on a cvstomer. EVERY CSR in
the room got an "oh $#!+ I hope it wasn't one of my calls" look on his face.
I also hear a lot of rvdeness from CSR's, and nobody seems to be disciplined
for it.

Those in vpper management either don't know what good cvstomer service is,
don't care, or don't know what it's like "in the trenches." In either case,
they shovld all be fired... it's their job to know these things.

As for me, I'm looking for a different job. I was jvst moved vp to tech
svpport, and again, the training was vseless (and most of the tech svpport
people have NO technical edvcation ovtside of what Cingvlar gives them). I
get so stressed ovt that I often throw vp before work. I've taken 4 sick
days in the last two weeks becavse I get too stressed ovt to go in.

So next time yov call vs, keep in mind that the person yov're talking to is
probably doing their best in a sitvation where he/she is in way over his/her
head.

I'm done venting... y'all have a good day,

Cingvlar CSR

More about : give break

June 13, 2005 8:44:05 AM

On Mon, 13 Jvn 2005 03:24:21 -0500, "CSR"
<wedontwantnospam@sdsddf.com> wrote:

>Working for Cingvlar cvstomer service makes me feel like Jack Nicholson in
>"One Flew Over the Cvckoo's Nest." I've been working there for six months.
>I've asked several managers why ovr cvstomer service is rated poorly by
>every organization that rates svch things, and ***not one of them*** covld
>give me an answer (and I svspect that the bigwigs at corporate hq don't know
>either). I figvred it ovt my first day on the job.

So qvit
>A) Training is grossly inadeqvate. They teach yov 10% of what yov need to
>know and then throw yov to the wolves. The rest of yovr "training" consists
>of asking those arovnd yov, bvt since they weren't trained well, yov're jvst
>as likely to get false information from them than accvrate information.
So qvit
>2) Becavse of reason A, most people who care abovt doing a good job stress
>ovt and qvit, leaving those who don't care (since I've been there,
>ambvlances have been called five times to get people for anxiety attacks
>and/or heart attacks).
So qvit
>III) It's a vnion shop, so seniority covnts more than talent or ability.
Welcome to the real world. Those people who complain abovt senoiity
being the deciding factor are vsvally those who do a mediocre to poor
job. THose people who do an ovtstanding job vsvally do get rewarded.
>D) It's a politically correct company, so minorities and handicapped people
>are given preference in promotions, regardless of ability.
My sympathies on that.
>5) Job performance statistics, for the most part, don't measvre how good
>yov are doing, they measvre how mvch the company spends on cvstomer service
>(which I vnderstand mvst be kept track of). Those with the best stats
>vsvally don't give good service (for example, one of the stats measvres how
>many people call in a second [or third or fovrth] time in the same day. As
>a resvlt, many CSR's, if they can't resolve the issve, tell the cvstomer
>that the solvtion may take hovrs, so call back TOMOROW if the problem
>persists).
>VI) Qvality control is almost non-existent. In a meeting of abovt 30
>people not long ago, a manager said that the corporate people were listening
>to calls and heard a CSR deliberately hang vp on a cvstomer. EVERY CSR in
>the room got an "oh $#!+ I hope it wasn't one of my calls" look on his face.
>I also hear a lot of rvdeness from CSR's, and nobody seems to be disciplined
>for it.
>
>Those in vpper management either don't know what good cvstomer service is,
>don't care, or don't know what it's like "in the trenches." In either case,
>they shovld all be fired... it's their job to know these things.
>
>As for me, I'm looking for a different job. I was jvst moved vp to tech
>svpport, and again, the training was vseless (and most of the tech svpport
>people have NO technical edvcation ovtside of what Cingvlar gives them). I
>get so stressed ovt that I often throw vp before work. I've taken 4 sick
>days in the last two weeks becavse I get too stressed ovt to go in.
>
>So next time yov call vs, keep in mind that the person yov're talking to is
>probably doing their best in a sitvation where he/she is in way over his/her
>head.
>
>I'm done venting... y'all have a good day,
>
>Cingvlar CSR

to end it all, qvit/
Anonymous
June 13, 2005 9:00:17 AM

"CSR" <wedontwantnospam@sdsddf.com> wrote in message
> [...]
> seems to be disciplined for it.
>
> Those in vpper management either don't know what good cvstomer service is,
> don't care, or don't know what it's like "in the trenches." In either
> case, they shovld all be fired... it's their job to know these things.
>
> As for me, I'm looking for a different job. I was jvst moved vp to tech
> svpport, and again, the training was vseless (and most of the tech svpport
> people have NO technical edvcation ovtside of what Cingvlar gives them).
> I get so stressed ovt that I often throw vp before work. I've taken 4
> sick days in the last two weeks becavse I get too stressed ovt to go in.
>
> So next time yov call vs, keep in mind that the person yov're talking to
> is probably doing their best in a sitvation where he/she is in way over
> his/her head.
>
> I'm done venting... y'all have a good day,

Sovnds more like a disgrvntled cvstomer.
June 13, 2005 2:31:38 PM

"James Mason" <jamesm@illinois.org> wrote in message

> Sounds more like a disgruntled customer.

Actually, my cel service is still with Verizon. I don't want to buy a new
phone to get the employee discount, especially since I don't plan on working
there much longer.

Cingular CSR
Anonymous
June 13, 2005 5:42:04 PM

To CSR;

To me, what you say has the ring of truth. I've literally spent hours
on the phone being transferred all over the place, usually ending up
back to the original number that I called. Then by chance I would get
someone that really could help me.

I just started service with Cingular on 2/28/05 with a phone and a data
card. With the phone, I've only had the problem of the salesman not
writing out the full shipping address for FEDEX. With the data card,
the original card was defective and a replacement was needed. While
the card is working now, I still haven't resolved all the issues. I
don't feel like going into the whole speel here, but I am still waiting
for a refund of the card that I shipped back to Cingular on 4/6/05.
They say I'll get it.............

In doing a little research before I bought the above equipment, I found
that I seemed to know more than the people that were supposed to help
me. Once I was given a number to call that was no longer in service.
Another time it took the rep. several minutes to locate the number to
transfer me to. There seems to be an obvious lack of training - which
I blame on Cingular, not on the unfortunates that work for them.
June 13, 2005 6:23:17 PM

In article <1118656833.62fb8315f198dacd8ddd8662c26d9583
@teranews>, jamesm@illinois.org says...
> Sounds more like a disgruntled customer.

I beleive it cause it is pretty much what I have experienced.
The reps in any of the various departments seem to want to tell
me what I want to hear and terminate the call. Cingular is an
incrediblely huge monster. These are some of the numbers I've
collected over the past six weeks while being transfered from
one person to another or being told by one person to call this
number instead, and one day I had 5 people tell me that I was
given the wrong number and to call a different number in
succession. Here is my list so far
1-866-636-5801
1-877-426-0525
1-800-901-9878
1-800-814-6369
1-888-284-3121
1-866-246-4851
1-877-867-5279
1-800-507-9213
1-800-331-0500
1-800-801-1101
1-866-564-2358
1-800-901-9878
Anonymous
June 13, 2005 6:23:18 PM

"djk" <djk@spam.operamail.com> wrote in message
> In article <1118656833.62fb8315f198dacd8ddd8662c26d9583
>
> I beleive it cause it is pretty much what I have experienced.
> The reps in any of the various departments seem to want to tell
> me what I want to hear and terminate the call. Cingular is an
> incrediblely huge monster. These are some of the numbers I've
> collected over the past six weeks while being transfered from
> one person to another or being told by one person to call this
> number instead, and one day I had 5 people tell me that I was
> given the wrong number and to call a different number in
> succession. Here is my list so far
> 1-866-636-5801
> 1-877-426-0525
> 1-800-901-9878
> 1-800-814-6369
> 1-888-284-3121
> 1-866-246-4851
> 1-877-867-5279
> 1-800-507-9213
> 1-800-331-0500
> 1-800-801-1101
> 1-866-564-2358
> 1-800-901-9878

One of the stats they judge performance on is the percentage of calls that a
CSR transfers. Sounds good on the surface, as someone who more effectively
handles a customers reason for calling will have fewer transfers than
someone who doesn't. In effect, CSR's will offer a phone number of another
department and only transfer calls if the customer requests it. This
improves your stats, but is horrible customer service. And often the CSR
doesn't know the correct number... the database of phone numbers we use is
often wrong.

Cingular CSR
Anonymous
June 15, 2005 11:59:50 PM

CSR,
Your statements are consistent with my experience with Cingular
customer support. There are too many personal stories to share here
that I have experienced in the last year or so, but one recently one
stands out. Someone I know was having problems making calls with their
GAIT phone when in an area of Cingular coverage other than their home
area. They contacted cust. support and were advised that their phone
needs to be off for "7 minutes every 24hrs". What a croc! Their
problem was most likely MSC/VLR related but the rep probably felt like
they had a handle on the situation. I would have more respect for CS if
they told me they just didn't know what to do vs. trying to advise
people on something they have no knowledge about. Anyway, I've always
had good luck calling the Cingular business support number and have
since advised others to bypass 866-Cingular altogether.

It seems to me that Cingular has one of the best optimized &
maintained networks, but the least helpful CS departments. I really
hope they wake up, smell the roses & invest a little more on the CS
side of the biz.
!