Issue with Windows 7 64bit

davidstipek

Honorable
Oct 6, 2012
I have an issue with memory in Windows 7 64bit!!

I'm using a Acer Aspire 5100 Notebook. I have 2x2gb ddr2's installed. Issue seems to be these are the largest modules made in ddr2 configuration. But I am showing total installed ram of 4gb, only 3.75 is useable... I did the best option and ent out and bought Windows 7 64 bit because I WAS using Windows 7 32 bit and was limited to a total useable ram of 3.5x... This expense of the new operating system does not justify .25 ram increase.

Is there anything I can do to get the total 4gb as useable? I have 2 32gb USB zip drives I am using with readyboost as commited to pagefiles. Is there anyway to use them as Ram Disks?

Is there a docking station that will accept more Ram to overcome the ddr2 limitation? I have no other issues with the Acer Notbok as all functions are (including Orbicam) working to perfection! I do not want to move on to another Notebook. We are using 6 Acer's (5100) that were donated to our school here in Chiang Mai Thailand. Our school pretty much runs on donations, so you can see why we want to stick with the Acer's

Any Idea's??

David

Solution
And really 4GB is plenty for a laptop. The money for windows 7 64 bit was wasted as you could have installed 64 instead of 32 for free since you already have a license.

They do make 4GB DDR2 SO-DIMMs, but they are expensive s no one uses DDR2, and again, not really needed on a laptop
And really 4GB is plenty for a laptop. The money for windows 7 64 bit was wasted as you could have installed 64 instead of 32 for free since you already have a license.

They do make 4GB DDR2 SO-DIMMs, but they are expensive s no one uses DDR2, and again, not really needed on a laptop

Solution

davidstipek

Honorable
Oct 6, 2012
Ok.. Understand.
Mubin... can I not use the 32gb for page file and dedicate it to readyboost??

and

Unksol... Here in Thailand, sometimes internet is slow, but we have found a way to increase (stablize the signal) but we need ram memory to do it. This way memory is not bottlenecked by USB port limitations and Aspire 5100 has no ps2 port to utalize adapter (USB/ps2). Now extra ram can be used as a buffer (really big!) so when signal is at it's highest Buffer get filled.. so when signal drops it not seen as we are reading buffer.

mubin

Distinguished

Yes, you can. Go to device properties and select Readyboost tab. Then choose Dedicate this device to Readyboost and apply. You will get some boost.