Solved

What voltage is used by radeon 6850 two external power connectors

I have an in win 850 watt power supply it has 2 pci-e slots on it one is 3.3v and the other 5v which one should i connect to the graphics card

timb2
8 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about what voltage radeon 6850 external power connectors
  1. PCIe connectors from the psu provide 12v power, your card will determine how many, if any, connectors are needed.
  2. Best answer
    "it has 2 pci-e slots on it one is 3.3v and the other 5v " < no, it doesnt have pcie-slots, it has pcie power connectors. and they are always 12v, i dont know what gave you the idea that they were 3.3 and 5v?. It doesnt matter which one you connect they give you two for graphics cards that need two or to run 2 separate cards.
  3. The +3.3V line is used was used by the processor, motherboard, some fans, and every DELs connected to the power supply. Nowadays it is being used only by LEDs, and on some motherboard it was abandonned altogether.

The +5/+12V powers everything else: HDD needs both, graphic cards need both, CPU and RAM needs +5V or +12V depending on the motherboard.

But if I remember right, Intel decided about 2 years ago that the industry have to abandon +3.3V and +5V, and use only +12V, even some power supplies have worked on this and provide only +12V. One day every manufacturer will move to +12V. On some motherboard the cpu has been moved from +5V to +12V, the same goes for RAM, but harddisk/optical drives still uses both +5.5V AND +12V at the same time. The same for LEDs and some fans. The latest fans on the market uses +12V only and modifies it so they can get 3.3, 5, 7, 9 and 12V. Also as some members told you, PCI-E 6/8 pins connectors uses +12V only.

Hope it answers your question. It all depends on your current hardware. If you want to be absolutely sure which one is use by which hardware, provide us with your exact hardware, or you can look inside the hardware manufacturers manuals/website to get that info.
  4. timb2 said:
    I have an in win 850 watt power supply it has 2 pci-e slots on it one is 3.3v and the other 5v which one should i connect to the graphics card

timb2

Don't connect the graphic card to the slots that are on the box of the PSU, connect it to the PCIe 6-pin cables that are coming out of the PSU (those with the yellow and black wires).
  5. To everyone:
    the OP is confused because this PSU has slots on the box itself.
    http://www.overclockerstech.com/win-commander-ii-850-watt-power-supply-test-drive/4/
  6. FunSurfer said:
    To everyone:
    the OP is confused because this PSU has slots on the box itself.
    http://www.overclockerstech.com/win-commander-ii-850-watt-power-supply-test-drive/4/

Psst, it's a modular power supply, there's no pcie slots on it or any other power supply.
  7. thanks question answered sorry about confusing you by calling them slots should have called them connectors but at 2am in morning sleep deprivation must have been getting to me. why couldn't they have have just labelled the output voltage on supply or in the installation book.
  8. Best answer selected by timb2.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Power Supplies Radeon Graphics