Does sli support all games

vishalaestro

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2011
im currently building my another computer ..i saw some reviews that some games doesnt use sli..so instead of buying a sli motherboard..i will buy a single gtx 570 intead of 2 gtx 560ti..which i will add it later to my pc..so should i buy a sli motherboard and 1st add a gtx 560ti and later add an another gtx560ti..or straightaway buy a single gtx 570..my res is 1080p

wannaturnuptheheat

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2010
It works this way... so long as you get a relatively high-end card (as the 560 is), any games that don't support SLI are old enough that a single card can run them just fine.

I can't think of any modern, or anything in the last 5 years, game that does NOT support SLI. That said, consider the trade-offs. The 570 is an outstanding card, and until you get that 'eventual' 560 (which you may never end up getting for whatever reasons), the 570 is the better performer. At 1080p, a faster single card is preferred by most people over dealing with multi-GPU setups -- the main issue is not whether SLI/CF is supported, but the issues that arise because of it (microstuttering, rendering errors, more heat produced and power consumed, louder, etc. etc.)

WannaTurnUpTheHeat makes some good points.

Just about any major release you can think of within the last five years has SLI support.

You definitely consume more power and generate more heat with multiple cards. A good quality PSU with enough wattage and a case with good airflow and ventilation are necessities for SLI setups or any build IMO.

Where I disagree, based on my personal experience with both SLI and crossfire on the same system this year, is with making a blanket statement about multi-GPU setups. I've had no issues with SLI and many with crossfire. I don't think a generalization should be made when referring to multi-gpu setups with regard to crossfire and SLI. SLI works as advertised, while crossfire seems to be made for those that like to spend more time trying to get it to work right.

I would go for the SLI motherboard and get the 570. You can always consider another 570 in the future.

4745454b

Titan
GTA4. Doesn't support CF or SLI, and came out in 2008 (3yo). The bigger problem is scaling. Games like WoW support CF/SLI, but have horrible scaling. I don't remember exactly, but I think its around 33%. Most games are above 60 IIRC.

I agree that at 1080, a GTX560 should do alright for most games. I'd only worry if you WANT to play X maxed out, and reviews show that its not possible.

Edit: Forgot to include the year.

vishalaestro

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2011

currently im having a gtx 570 graphic card ..at present i think it will be pretty much safe for 1080p gaming..i decided to sli my card after 2-3 years ..but according to my knowledge many card doesnt sell after 2 years so it is useless to sli my card..eventhough i have a good gaming card.i dont want to add an another gtx 570 because a single gtx 570 is good for 1080p after two years i can still use this single card and play games at atleast 720p res..so a single gtx 570 is enough right..

4745454b

Titan
The bigger issue will be that in 2-3yrs its usually better to sell your current card and pick up a card from the current generation. This mythical GTX770 will probably provide similar frame rates, yet use less power/heat. There are usually very few cards worth SLiing. You won't know until all this happens however. The GTX570 is a good card, it might be worth it.

4745454b

Titan
720? At that low res you should be fine for many years. 720 isn't much different then 1024x768, which PC gamers have been using since 1990what? If you're willing to drop the res and/or details down, the GTX570 should last you 5+ years. I'd almost be willing to say 10 years. That depends on the next DX levels and adoption rate.