Sign in with
Your question

Need a new AMD CPU

Last response: in CPUs
January 1, 2012 12:24:27 AM

I recently had a CPU fail and now am in the market for a new AMD CPU. I currently have an ASUS M5A97 mobo and am replacing a Phenom X2 945. I was excited that my situation put me in the position to upgrade to an Bulldozer, but from what I have read they are not what they should have been.

I do a decent bit of gaming, a small amount of CAD work and image editing, and a decent bit of normal office work. Obviously since i am looking at these processors I lean toward the gaming realm. All that being said, I don't push my PCs. When I game, I usually play MMOs and RPGs. I save my FPS gaming for counsels. I am currently playing (or trying to get back to playing) SWOTR and Skyrim.

Can anyone recommend a good CPU for $100-$130? I was looking at the 1005T on Newegg for $135, but I am not sure it is the best option for me. I love the idea of going with BD, but I am not sure concering what I have read. I can go up on my price range if it is necessary.

Thank you.

More about : amd cpu

a c 186 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
a b À AMD
January 1, 2012 12:29:52 AM

Since you do cad work and image editing a 6 core cpu would be the best option, but you sacrifice a little(not much) in gaming performance.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b À AMD
January 1, 2012 12:30:00 AM

I think the 960t would be the best bet right now was you don't need 6 cores in gaming and its a fairly cheap cpu for a good price.

If you can get the last generation like the 955BE or 965BE they would be solid as well.
m
l
Related resources
a c 146 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
a b À AMD
January 1, 2012 12:33:34 AM

awtrask said:
I recently had a CPU fail and now am in the market for a new AMD CPU. I currently have an ASUS M5A97 mobo and am replacing a Phenom X2 945. I was excited that my situation put me in the position to upgrade to an Bulldozer, but from what I have read they are not what they should have been.

I do a decent bit of gaming, a small amount of CAD work and image editing, and a decent bit of normal office work. Obviously since i am looking at these processors I lean toward the gaming realm. All that being said, I don't push my PCs. When I game, I usually play MMOs and RPGs. I save my FPS gaming for counsels. I am currently playing (or trying to get back to playing) SWOTR and Skyrim.

Can anyone recommend a good CPU for $100-$130? I was looking at the 1005T on Newegg for $135, but I am not sure it is the best option for me. I love the idea of going with BD, but I am not sure concering what I have read. I can go up on my price range if it is necessary.

Thank you.

I would say either a PhenomII quad core or six core.
m
l
January 1, 2012 2:02:55 AM

So I assume it is a general consensus that the BD processors are not worth it at this point? I think I am now looking at the P2 960TBE for $110 or P2 1055T for $135.

Thank you.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b À AMD
January 1, 2012 2:06:52 AM

yes get one of those. I think it will be better than the FXs
m
l
January 1, 2012 2:28:45 AM

since this thread was on the topic of replacing cpu's im a newbie on here and need help with mine as well. if somone would be kind enough id really appriciate it. narra5 MB m2n68-la model bios is from late 2010,around the time this machine was factory built. it currently has a athlon ii 170u processor. im looking to put a athlon II x4 640 to replace the 170u. will this work okay? i can find any further details if needed about my system and board.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b À AMD
January 1, 2012 2:34:35 AM

demonsparkx said:
since this thread was on the topic of replacing cpu's im a newbie on here and need help with mine as well. if somone would be kind enough id really appriciate it. narra5 MB m2n68-la model bios is from late 2010,around the time this machine was factory built. it currently has a athlon ii 170u processor. im looking to put a athlon II x4 640 to replace the 170u. will this work okay? i can find any further details if needed about my system and board.

you can upgrade as long as the cpu is 95 watts or less.

so an athlon II x4 640 will work.
m
l
January 1, 2012 3:00:21 AM

esrever said:
you can upgrade as long as the cpu is 95 watts or less.

so an athlon II x4 640 will work.

okay, so in theory if i used that CPU i stated, i shouldn't have to mess with any bios updates or configuration for it to work? Ive never done any bios things before and know if done wrong can brick the motherboard. thank you for your help.
m
l
January 27, 2012 12:48:02 AM

AMD CPUs rarely fail. Most failure problems happen in the board not the processor. Check out your board. However I do recommend an upgrade from a dual core just for umph. Good excuse to say your processor died though. FX processors are not AMAZING! However they are so much sweeter than most processors a bit more pricey but they offer a very outstanding performance for video editing, multimedia and virtualization (like virtualbox or something). However their pure calculations stink. I recommend grabbing an FX and a board supporting the processor so you can avoid a faulty board.
m
l
!