First Build Needs Critique

Zafnar

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2011
So I am building my first PC and would like some info on whether this build sounds reasonable for its cost and value.

CPU: i5 2500K ($220)
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z68x-UD3H-B3 ($160)
Memory: GSkill 4GB 1600 F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL ($27)
Case: Nzxt Source 210 ($40)
Hardrive: Seagate 1TB 6.0Gb/s 32MB Cache ($55)

With the above components I will also be using my current GTX 9800+ and a corsair 750w PSU i got a while back for next to nothing. The CPU i found a combo where i can get a $21 dvd burner for free with it so in the end with just the above and the OS I'm looking at about $625 after getting more fans for the case. Does this seem like a good purchase for the value of the components.

There is only one possible problem that I can see and that is the ADATA memory that you have selected. Right now with 2nd generation Intel® Core™ processors like the Intel Core i5-2500K you want to use memory rated at 1.5v ± 5% with them. using memory that is 1.65v can damage your processor and void your warranty on it. Without a set model # on the memory I have to guess and most of their memory is running at 1.65v so be very careful on the memory that you select.

Also dont forget if you are planning to overclock the Intel Core i5-2500K you are going to need a good 3rd party HSF to deal with the increased temperatures.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team

Zafnar

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2011

I dont plan to OC the cpu anytime soon but i want to leave that as a later option and would get a real cpu fan then, as for the memory according to gigabyte it is on the list for the motherboard though so not sure what's up with that. I may just get different memory that is already at the right voltage to avoid any issue. Thanks for the quick response and the tip on the memory, as for the exact memory its the ADATA AX3U1600GB2G9-2G.