Upgrade Path! Need "Some" Advice!

nmeseth

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2010
Due to my lack of $$$ (No job at the moment) and about $2,000 in debt, I"ll be upgrading my current system (See below) In about 4 steps. I'm looking for "future" advice. Such as some advice I got before about the bulldozer CPU's. I was about to purchase a 1100T when I was told some very nice CPU's are coming out.

Current System
Motherboard
Click for Link - MSI 790XT-G45

CPU
AMD Phenom X4 955 Processor (4 CPUs) ~ 3.6GHz

RAM
Click for Link - G.Skill PK Series Memeory 4GB 2x2 GB DIMM 240-pin DDR2

Video Card
XFX ATI Radeon HD6870 1 GB DDR5 2DVI/HDMI/2x Mini DisplayPort PCI-Express Video Card HD687AZNFC

Sound Card
Using a FiiO E7+E9 External Headphone Amp combo with DT 990 Pro's to pump the sound.

Networking
Motherboard LAN port

Hard Drive
1TB Drive (5200 RPM's, 3GB/s)
750GB Drive (5200 RPM's, 3GB/s

CD/DVD/Blu-Ray Drives
1 DVD Burner

Case
Cooler Master HAF 932

Power Supply
Click for Link - SilverStone OP750 750W

System Cooling
All fan slots are filled in the case, no extra cooling provided.

CPU Cooling
Click for Link - Cooler Master Hyper 212

Motherboard, RAM

Motherboard: Asrock Fatal1ty 990FX

RAM: 2x G.SKILL Sniper (2x4GB) DDR3 1866

RAM Fan: G.SKILL FTB D Fans

Processor

CPU: AMD FX-4170 | 4.2GHz Base -> Plan on overclocking | Quad-Core (Not a fan of anything higher)

CPU Cooling: H100 Liquid Cooling

North/South Bridge Cooling: Logisys Computer CC2 North Bridge Cooler 2

Crossfire Graphics Card
XFX HD-687X-CNFC Radeon HD 6870 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support

HIS CrossFire Bridge Cable

Case, Hard Drives, Optical Drives, Sound Card

Cooler Master HAF X

2x Asus DRW-24B1ST DVD Burner

OCZ Vertex 3 120GB 2.5" SATA III MLC Internal SSD

Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal HD

HT | OMEGA Claro Halo XT PCI Interface Sound Card /w built-in HI-FI Headphone Amplifier

NZXT Sentry-2 5.25" Touch Screen fan controller

Then I'll be buying a new mouse/keyboard, 2.1Ch PC Speaker System, Mouse pad, 1080P Webcam, but those aren't really necessary to list.

Since you only got 3.6Ghz with a Hyper 212 I'd say you got a C2 chip like me. Anyway, I'd say go crossfire first, then go with the RAM and Motherboard, followed by the CPU and others. That's what I would do, but it's up to you. Also, there is no point in getting a 2GB card due to the fact that if you crossfire it with your 1GB card, only 1GB will be used. Get another 6870 1GB.

nmeseth

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2010
Thanks, I'll make sure to replace that other gfx card with a similar model.

I'll be upgrading the mobo then processor because mine are currently VERY shaky in performance, and I want to get rid of this motherboard asap.

My gfx card for now is fine, my gaming performance isn't something I see as terribly lacking, but opening applications and such is something I'd like to improve.

I do a LOT of .zip-related file work, so thats the reasoning for my 16GB of RAM.

The processor being quad-core instead of going for the newer 6 or 8-core, I just don't see many gaming applications taking advantage of the higher number of cores.