Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Asus Rampage IV Extreme R4E PCI management for 3 GPUs

Last response: in Motherboards
October 21, 2012 2:19:29 PM

Let's start of by saying that ASUS's before purchase sucks.

I tried to get an answer in ASUS , but i was not able to get a straight answer , even from one of the admins.

If you have the Asus Rampage IV Extreme, you might be able to help then..

Any way, lets start.

Soon i might be able to purchase the ASUS Rampage IV Extreme.
And i am considering a 3way crossfirex or a 3way sli system.

I might use 3 of those two graphics card types.
Personally i want to go with the SAPPHIRE 7970 6GB.

1- SAPPHIRE TOXIC HD 7970 GHz Edition 6GB GDDR5 with dimensions of 10.83" x 4.53" x 2.04"
NewEgg Link |||| SAPPHIRE Official Link

2- Galaxy GeForce GTX 680 GC 4GB with dimensions of 10" x 4.33" x 1.57"
NewEgg Link |||| Galaxy Official Link

I want to know what is the proper configuration to run those 3 big cards.
Keeping in mind two things.
1- Air space between cards for ventilation.
2- Using both PICe x16 at (1) and (4).

I am thinking of using (1) and (4) and (6) with crossfireX (at least the main card will be well vented)
but i do not know if it is possible or not, due to card dimensions.
I do not know if this is impossible will it be possible with the Galaxy's GTX 680 4GB GC or not , and if it is possible

What will be better 3 SAPPHIRE's at x16 x8 x8 or 3 Galaxy's at x16 x16 x8 considering also the ventilation.

This is a problem , and i want to know your suggestions.

The question is : how much is the distance between the (1) , (2) , (3) , (4) , (6) PCI slots in mm or in inchs.

Best solution

a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a c 715 V Motherboard
October 21, 2012 2:45:10 PM

Each single PCIe slot is spaced 20.32mm (0.8 inches) apart. So 1 <-> 2A (2*20.32mm) or 40.64mm and 2A <-> 2B (1*20.32mm) or 20.32mm, etc.
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a c 715 V Motherboard
October 21, 2012 2:53:44 PM

The SAPPHIRE TOXIC HD 7970 is a triple width GPU vs the Galaxy 68NQH6DN6DXZ GeForce GTX 680 is a double width GPU. Therefore, unless the 'plan' is to waterblock you can fit (2) SAPPHIRE TOXIC HD 7970, or (4) Galaxy 68NQH6DN6DXZ GeForce GTX 680 on the R4E (RIVE) MOBO.

If you waterblock then the width will be reduced to a single PCIe width for either GPU.
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
October 21, 2012 4:01:35 PM

Before I get to my answer, let me ask you a question. Why go with triple crossfire or SLI? They both have a host of issues and that third card won't get you much extra performance. You are going to run multiple screens, correct? If not, unless you are just benching, you don't need so much gpu power. Just my 2c.
I recommend staying with the same brand and spec for each card. Like your manual says, run them in slots 1,2 and 4. That will give you the correct spacing between cards (not much) and run them at the fastest bandwidth. You need to go with 2 slot cards as anything larger will not physically fit.
October 21, 2012 4:59:30 PM

Best answer selected by Dropz.
October 21, 2012 8:53:47 PM

jaquith said:
The SAPPHIRE TOXIC HD 7970 is a triple width GPU vs the Galaxy 68NQH6DN6DXZ GeForce GTX 680 is a double width GPU. Therefore, unless the 'plan' is to waterblock you can fit (2) SAPPHIRE TOXIC HD 7970, or (4) Galaxy 68NQH6DN6DXZ GeForce GTX 680 on the R4E (RIVE) MOBO.

If you waterblock then the width will be reduced to a single PCIe width for either GPU.

Fast, accurate and detailed answers with a recommendation. That is a deadly compilation.
:) 

Any way , What you think if i use slots (1) (4) (6) with the Galaxies?
I will enjoy more lanes.
And i will have the first one well cooled at least.
October 21, 2012 9:14:03 PM

or (1) (3) (6) SAPPHIRES ?
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a c 715 V Motherboard
October 21, 2012 9:26:58 PM

Thinking of only fitting, 1/4/6 wouldn't fit 'on air' 3-slot width GPU's, but 1/3/6 would fit 'on air' -- so the question is will 1/3/6 function and the answer is Yes for SLI or CF. Refer to page 2-10 (3 Slot Width).

In my second post, I didn't look at the manual and only looked at what you posted. Now, if I looked 'then' I would have suggested 1/3/6...
October 21, 2012 10:23:16 PM

A- 1/3/6 at (x16/x8/x8) SAPPHIRES (3slot) with 0.36" space.
or
B- 1/4/6 at (x16/x16/x8) Galaxies (2slot) with 0.03" space.

I am going to use 2x120mm side fans as intake (fans from H100).
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a c 715 V Motherboard
October 21, 2012 10:52:14 PM

Depends if you prefer nVidia or AMD. 'I' prefer nVidia for gaming because of two reasons: 1. 3D Vision and 2. Adaptive vSync for 60Hz. 'IF' you're thinking of 3D then I'd go the nVidia route with a LightBoost monitor (ASUS VG278H or ASUS VG278HE (3D 120Hz/2 60Hz yep even the 144Hz) - http://www.nvidia.com/object/3d-vision-system-requireme...

/edit for 3-WAY this might come in handy with GTX 680's - http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3135...

Both 1/3/6 or 1/4/6 are x16/x8/x8 and for 'air cooling' the added space is go either way. Ideally, I'd test both ways (Performance & Temps) 1/3/6 vs 1/4/6

As far as the H100, it depends on your case. My preference is to exhaust the hot air out of the top of the case. Selecting Push or Pull depends on which is more important: Noise (Push) vs Cleaning (Pull). Also, the stock H100 fans are a tad load so I'd consider replacing them with lower dBA fans e.g. Corsair SP120's. The choice depends on your OC. If >4.5GHz then I'd choose the Corsair SP120 (High Performance) + Med/High.

Nice review - (5:53 for temps/sound real life) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFi39czpsac
Corsair SP120 (Quiet edition) - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Corsair SP120 (High Performance) - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
October 21, 2012 11:06:48 PM

jaquith said:
Depends if you prefer nVidia or AMD. 'I' prefer nVidia for gaming because of two reasons: 1. 3D Vision and 2. Adaptive vSync for 60Hz. 'IF' you're thinking of 3D then I'd go the nVidia route with a LightBoost monitor (ASUS VG278H or ASUS VG278HE (3D 120Hz/2 60Hz yep even the 144Hz) - http://www.nvidia.com/object/3d-vision-system-requireme...

/edit for 3-WAY this might come in handy with GTX 680's - http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3135...

Both 1/3/6 or 1/4/6 are x16/x8/x8 and for 'air cooling' the added space is go either way. Ideally, I'd test both ways (Performance & Temps) 1/3/6 vs 1/4/6

As far as the H100, it depends on your case. My preference is to exhaust the hot air out of the top of the case. Selecting Push or Pull depends on which is more important: Noise (Push) vs Cleaning (Pull). Also, the stock H100 fans are a tad load so I'd consider replacing them with lower dBA fans e.g. Corsair SP120's. The choice depends on your OC. If >4.5GHz then I'd choose the Corsair SP120 (High Performance) + Med/High.

Nice review - (5:53 for temps/sound real life) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFi39czpsac
Corsair SP120 (Quiet edition) - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Corsair SP120 (High Performance) - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Ok , as for the cards , i don't really care about 3D , nor 60hz.
I want to game on 120hz.

I am not a fan for nVidia nor AMD , so it does not really matter.

Any way.
The H100 will be with 4 Noctua NF-F12.
And the stock fans will be used for the graphics cards :D 

My airflow is like this.

COSMO2.
Top : 2x120mm (H100) intake(cold air) + 1x120 intake.
Rear : 140mm exhaust.
Front : 200mm exhaust
Side : 2x120mm intake.

Any way , thanks for the help.
I will try to do some checking on the difference between the PCIe 3.0 x16 (x16 mode) vs PCIe 3.0 x16 (x8 mode).
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a c 715 V Motherboard
October 21, 2012 11:53:53 PM

Well my gaming rig is built off an 800D and is 100% water using 3xHD in 3D Vision with 120Hz TN monitors, and my everyday PC is built off a 500R and uses an H100 with a couple 60Hz IPS panels (work). The Noctua F's are fine but 'I' just have a color thing, so as soon (never going to happen) as they make all black fans then bingo for me.

As far as 'air flow' all my PC's share the same philosophy:
1. Positive pressure (reduce dust)
2. Bottom/Front/Side (IN) and Top/Rear (OUT) ; use or add filters wherever possible.

Your airflow goes against 'hot air rises' idea and the SB-E once overclocked throws too much warm air into the case. My i7-3930K OC'ed to 4.8GHz @ 1.40v runs 68C-72C with the H100 @ medium and Push only SP120's. It heats up my office from 74F -> 78F pretty quickly.

The PCIe 3.0 x8 is PCIe 2.0 x16 equivalent bandwidth, and the only call for the GTX 600 series PCIe 2.0 -> 3.0 mod which I linked is for 4-WAY SLI; 3-WAY didn't show a statistical advantage. The PCIe saturation is a function of both the Settings and Resolution (Higher = more bandwidth). YES, the GTX 600 series by default runs PCIe 2.0 on the X79/SB-E.

PCIe 3.0 x16 (x16 mode) vs PCIe 3.0 x16 (x8 mode) = 0%~2%

Here's a good article on PCIe scaling for a single GPU using PCIe 3.0 vs PCI 2.0 and various links from x1/x4/x8/x16 - http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Intel/Ivy_Bridge_PCI...

4-WAY Scaling PCIe 3.0 vs PCIe 2.0 - http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.aspx?m=1537816 ; from above - http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3135...
October 22, 2012 3:04:32 PM

jaquith said:
Well my gaming rig is built off an 800D and is 100% water using 3xHD in 3D Vision with 120Hz TN monitors, and my everyday PC is built off a 500R and uses an H100 with a couple 60Hz IPS panels (work). The Noctua F's are fine but 'I' just have a color thing, so as soon (never going to happen) as they make all black fans then bingo for me.

- Sadly do not have someone whom i can trust with watercooling, i plan on doing it after few months when i get a little bit more experienced.
- I do not care about the colors :) 

jaquith said:
As far as 'air flow' all my PC's share the same philosophy:
1. Positive pressure (reduce dust)
2. Bottom/Front/Side (IN) and Top/Rear (OUT) ; use or add filters wherever possible.

Why Bottom/Front/Side (IN) and Top/Rear (OUT) ?

jaquith said:
Your airflow goes against 'hot air rises' idea and the SB-E once overclocked throws too much warm air into the case. My i7-3930K OC'ed to 4.8GHz @ 1.40v runs 68C-72C with the H100 @ medium and Push only SP120's. It heats up my office from 74F -> 78F pretty quickly.

"hot air rises" ?
I do not know what is that, but my airflow is simple.
CPU gets cool air from outside , and so does the GPUs.
I will have a little bit hotter air inside , but i hope that the exhaust will perform well, its still better than taking air that is not cold from inside and using it to cool the GPU and CPU.
I know i can forget about all of that if i just use watercooling , and i do want to do so , but i am not experienced enough for that and i do not know any one who is.

jaquith said:
The PCIe 3.0 x8 is PCIe 2.0 x16 equivalent bandwidth, and the only call for the GTX 600 series PCIe 2.0 -> 3.0 mod which I linked is for 4-WAY SLI; 3-WAY didn't show a statistical advantage. The PCIe saturation is a function of both the Settings and Resolution (Higher = more bandwidth). YES, the GTX 600 series by default runs PCIe 2.0 on the X79/SB-E.

mhm.
let me see.
So , all of those benchmarks were done with a bottlenecked GTX 680 !?
That's weird.
According to that PCIe 2.0 x16 to PCIe 3.0 x16 from 2.0 to 3.0 there was at least 42% fps increase.

Keep in mind one thing.
Quote:

In this review, we test the impact of running the AMD Radeon HD 7970 and the GeForce GTX 680 on Intel Ivy Bridge PCI-Express slots that are electrically PCI-Express x16, x8 and x4. We tested all three generations of the PCI-Express interface: 1.1, 2.0 and 3.0.

This review is made possible thanks to an awesome BIOS option given to us by ASUS ROG Maximus V Gene motherboard, which allows us to toggle the CPU's PCI-Express root complex between PCI-Express 1.0, 2.0, and 3.0 modes. To modify the number of lanes available to the GPU, we used common plastic adhesive tape.

They used the motherboard to change the PCIe lanes and versions at the BIOS level , but they did not use the same software (force-enable-gen3.exe) to allow the GTXs to utilize it , so , they change PCIe verions from 2.0 to 3.0 at BIOS level , but the graphics card still does not utilize the 3.0 cause the software were not used.

That explains why there is a great performance increase on 4-way sli test mentioned but almost no change on the other test.
Cause the GTX cards still think that the BIOS modified PCIe 3.0 x16 is just a PCIe 2.0 x16.

At least that's how i understand it.

Can you check to see if that is true or not, or at least tell me i have got it wrong.
BTW you have helped me alot more than any one did regarding my next rig ,i would be happy to repay that help if i can later :) 
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a c 715 V Motherboard
October 22, 2012 4:07:54 PM

RE: Why Bottom/Front/Side (IN) and Top/Rear (OUT) ? and "hot air rises" ?
You have to have some organization to your airflow, and once air is inside the case the hot air will converge on the highest point in the case. So in your example the hot air will be trapped beneath the H100 and the top of the GPU(s); right where the MOBO's VRM is the hottest. I suggest that you draw it out and think about it for a while. Keep in mind non-reference GPU's do a lousy job of exhausting air out the rear of the case, and instead the air is turbulent around them and is blowing in every which way direction.

RE: mhm. and 42% fps increase
If you look at the forum post a little more then you'll find out that PCIe 3.0 + 4-WAY + High Resolution & Settings required (benefited from) the PCIe 3.0 mod. In addition, I know of the OP and his rig suffers from vRAM (4x 2GB GTX 680's) bottlenecks more than PCIe bottlenecks.

My GTX 680's are 4GB vRAM versions and not the 2GB reference so I don't have a vRAM issue. The HD 7970 you linked is 6GB and the GTX 680 is 4GB so neither will have vRAM issues.

RE: They used the motherboard to change the PCIe lanes
I linked you the nVidia MOD, but prior to that you could accomplish the same manually tweaking the Registry keys. Yes, early LGA 2011's required a PCIe 3.0 BIOS update to allow the SB-E to communicate via PCIe 3.0 vs PCIe 2.0. I assume that you do know that the all current LGA 2011 CPU's are 'officially' rated PCIe 2.0 (not PCIe 3.0).

i7-3930K - http://ark.intel.com/products/63697/Intel-Core-i7-3930K...
"PCI Express Revision 2.0"
However, the original specs from Intel were PCIe v3.0...so it 'can' run PCIe 3.0 but not necessarily by default. nVidia on the GTX 600 series took it upon themselves to govern the SB-E to PCIe 2.0 by Default whereas AMD HD 7000 leaves that control up to the end user so by Default it runs PCIe 3.0.

Recap, PCIe 3.0 support is both on the BIOS level (PCIE -> GEN3) and OS level (Registry). On current BIOS or at least since v1005 (R4E) Default = (PCIE -> GEN3) and on AMD Default = GEN3 and nVidia use the "force-enable-gen3.exe" for GEN3.
October 22, 2012 5:02:22 PM

jaquith said:
You have to have some organization to your airflow, and once air is inside the case the hot air will converge on the highest point in the case. So in your example the hot air will be trapped beneath the H100 and the top of the GPU(s); right where the MOBO's VRM is the hottest. I suggest that you draw it out and think about it for a while. Keep in mind non-reference GPU's do a lousy job of exhausting air out the rear of the case, and instead the air is turbulent around them and is blowing in every which way direction.

I will be using rear 140mm as Exhaust for the hot air.
Will not that be enough ?

jaquith said:
If you look at the forum post a little more then you'll find out that PCIe 3.0 + 4-WAY + High Resolution & Settings required (benefited from) the PCIe 3.0 mod. In addition, I know of the OP and his rig suffers from vRAM (4x 2GB GTX 680's) bottlenecks more than PCIe bottlenecks.

kinda agree.
BTW what does "OP" means ?

jaquith said:
Recap, PCIe 3.0 support is both on the BIOS level (PCIE -> GEN3) and OS level (Registry). On current BIOS or at least since v1005 (R4E) Default = (PCIE -> GEN3) and on AMD Default = GEN3 and nVidia use the "force-enable-gen3.exe" for GEN3.

So , it will be better iwth 3-way on higher resolutions when the max bandwidth is needed?
BTW should i worry about the
Quote:
enable faster 8GT/s bus speeds (at your own risk)
?

Finally.
What is your last recommendation ?
Galaxies or SAPPHIRES and on which setup ?
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a c 715 V Motherboard
October 22, 2012 6:02:10 PM

RE: I will be using rear 140mm as Exhaust for the hot air.
COSMO2.
Top : 2x120mm (H100) intake(cold air) + 1x120 intake.
Front : 200mm exhaust

vs - my recommendation:

COSMO2.
Top : 2x120mm (H100) exhaust. ; keep in mind the H100's fans are variable and under load are displacing more air than appx all of the other fans combined.
Front : 200mm Intake.

RE: BTW what does "OP" means ?
OP = Original Poster - the person who started the Thread i.e. you're the OP (here).

RE: So , it will be better iwth 3-way on higher resolutions when the max bandwidth is needed?
Depends but it'll be close, so I would recommend trying (benchmarking) it both ways. The i7-3930K/i7-3960X 3 and 4 WAY rigs I've built all use the 'MOD' and have been fine. Earlier BIOS and non-ASUS LGA 2011's weren't so lucky but it's been quite a while since I used a non-ASUS LGA 2011 MOBO.

My current Gaming rig runs an OC'ed i7-980X and I know I'm losing -0FPS~-8FPS and clearly it's PCIe 2.0. In my case the i7-980X with 3/4-WAY SLI/CF and OC'ed keeps up pretty close with the current SB/SB-E/IB CPU's (the i7-980X is 32nm/6-core). So in my case I couldn't justify a $1.5K~$2K expense (CPU, MOBO, RAM, & MOBO water block). My 'hope' is there will be a 'replacement' CPU once either the CPU or MOBO dies.

RE: What is your last recommendation ?
Good time to discuss which GPU OEM's, and in no particular order the following:

nVidia: EVGA, MSI & ASUS
AMD: XFX, MSI & ASUS

I typically don't use either Galaxy or Sapphires...so I have little firsthand experience. Most of my decision making goes into non-reference: 1. Full VGA Water Block availability, 2. >vRAM, and 3. >Phases (power). Lately, I've migrated from Koolance and most of my blocking parts are from EK.

Check your GPU's for 'Full Blocks' here - http://www.coolingconfigurator.com/

Sapphire Toxic Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition 6GB GDDR5 (11197-04) = No VGA FULLCOVER
Galaxy 68NQH6DN6DXZ GeForce GTX 680 GC 4GB = No VGA FULLCOVER

Example of GTX 680 4GB with FULLCOVER Blocks:
EVGA GeForce GTX 680+ 4GB w/Backplate (04G-P4-2686-KR) - http://www.coolingconfigurator.com/step1_complist?gpu_g...
Zotac GeForce GTX 680 4GB GDDR5 (ZT-60103-10P) - http://www.coolingconfigurator.com/step1_complist?gpu_g...

EVGA 04G-P4-2686-KR GeForce GTX 680 w/ Backplate - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Example of HD 7970 6GB with FULLCOVER Blocks:
(none)

Example of HD 7970 3GB with FULLCOVER Blocks:
MSI R7970 Lightning Radeon HD 7970 3GB - http://www.coolingconfigurator.com/step1_complist?gpu_g...

MSI R7970 Lightning Radeon HD 7970 3GB - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

--

Water cooling - it's really not that complex but it does make a significant difference for OC'ing performance and most importantly noise reduction. I promise you OC'ing the SB-E even with Noctua fans is going to be noisy and distracting on an H100 and if you OC the GPU's then even more so. Now if you don't plan to OC either the CPU or GPU(s) much then the noise can be made tolerable using the right fans and with a good Fan Controller.
October 22, 2012 6:23:07 PM

Sadly those two (with high VRAM)are the only available here , if i am going to choose otherwise.
I will have to go through the international shipping pain.
so...
What is the other solution if i am not going to use full waterblocks ?

BTW , the NOCTUAS are not high CFM compared to the others.
I chose them for good cfm good air pressure and focus flow thingy.
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a c 715 V Motherboard
October 22, 2012 9:18:21 PM

Well you have to find a 'Universal VGA' block that can fit and then add IMO goofy looking heat sinks for the VRM/memory or equally odd a hybrid.

Hybrid example - http://www.overclock.net/t/1298277/evga-gtx-680-ftw-4gb...
Universal + Heat sinks:
Ex1 - https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-Gt9_akt-Dk0/T-yCt_EH...
Ex2 - http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h259/usforces/IMG_183...

I never commented on 'CFM' ?? I'm happy you like Noctua, again I will never put a brown fan in any of my personal rigs unless the theme is camo.

Fans - for any radiators you need 'High Static Pressure'. The NF-F12 are static pressure fans and they're 55 CFM fans @ 22.4 dBA (**Actual on Noctua is generally higher). In contrast the SP120 Quiet Edition 38 CFM @ 23 dBA and SP120 High Performance are 63 CFM @ 35 dBA.

In any case if you have the least bit of sense about you then you're not running any @ 100%, and instead you'll use 'some' sort of fan controller.

My preference are in no particular order, and depending on the color theme and use are: Aerocool, BitFenix, Noiseblocker, Phobya, and Scythe Gentle Typhoon.

**Rated dBA vs Actual dBA:

Nice review - http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/331629-28-cooling-rou...
October 23, 2012 5:01:34 AM

jaquith said:
Well you have to find a 'Universal VGA' block that can fit and then add IMO goofy looking heat sinks for the VRM/memory or equally odd a hybrid.

Hybrid example - http://www.overclock.net/t/1298277/evga-gtx-680-ftw-4gb...
Universal + Heat sinks:
Ex1 - https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-Gt9_akt-Dk0/T-yCt_EH...
Ex2 - http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h259/usforces/IMG_183...

I never commented on 'CFM' ?? I'm happy you like Noctua, again I will never put a brown fan in any of my personal rigs unless the theme is camo.

Fans - for any radiators you need 'High Static Pressure'. The NF-F12 are static pressure fans and they're 55 CFM fans @ 22.4 dBA (**Actual on Noctua is generally higher). In contrast the SP120 Quiet Edition 38 CFM @ 23 dBA and SP120 High Performance are 63 CFM @ 35 dBA.

In any case if you have the least bit of sense about you then you're not running any @ 100%, and instead you'll use 'some' sort of fan controller.

My preference are in no particular order, and depending on the color theme and use are: Aerocool, BitFenix, Noiseblocker, Phobya, and Scythe Gentle Typhoon.

**Rated dBA vs Actual dBA:
http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p250/4ryan6/120mmFanNoiseLevels.png

Nice review - http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/331629-28-cooling-rou...

I would love to have the fans that you have suggested.
But i live in Egypt , and we do not have any variety of fans in here thank god they even got the noctuas I would like to make my rig look cool , but without sacrificing the performance, the local resellers have led fans but they are horrible.
I am limited to the galaxy cause it is the only 4GB GTX 680 in here , i am limited to air cooling cause i do not know anyone who can supply watercooling parts , i am limited in my fans choice cause of the same reasons.

Also you have to know that the H100 default fans are not bad at all , they just have a very high dba.

BTW we do not use camels in any way :D 

Any way thanks for the help so far.

I will go with Galaxies on 1/2/4 (x16/x8/x16) or 1/4/6 (x16/x16/x8) if i was able to find a proper SLI bridge, and will probably use the nvidia's registry edit.
But there is one more thing , is it risky to change from 2.0 to 3.0 ?
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a c 715 V Motherboard
October 23, 2012 12:20:11 PM

I live in the USA, but that doesn't mean 'we' have unlimited access to every tech and often I'm ordering stuff from outside the Country. All of us here hold a globally and universally united enthusiast approach to technology.

Again, you'll run x16/x8/x8 1/3/6 or 1/4/6. As far as having issues running PCIe 3.0 vs PCIe 2.0 I doubt you'll have and issues and I doubt you'll have any gains. Since that 'MOD' changes the Registry you can go back using a Restore Point -- as long as you don't do something silly (i.e. goofy SSD tweaks) and Disable System Restore. I always recommend testing before installing other Applications and Data to any new system build. Testing: Memtest 4 passes/overnight using AI Overclock Tuner -> XMP before installing any OS, then after installing the OS run AIDA64 Extreme (all testing options/see below) for 24 hours personal use or 48 hours professional use, and then install all of the other applications and data once the PC is fully validated.

The H100's fans are 'fine' until they're not, and once they're not (annoyances) the solution is very simple -- replace them. ;)  Once you OC your CPU you'll discover what I'm saying...
October 23, 2012 12:56:20 PM

jaquith said:
I live in the USA, but that doesn't mean 'we' have unlimited access to every tech and often I'm ordering stuff from outside the Country. All of us here hold a globally and universally united enthusiast approach to technology.

Again, you'll run x16/x8/x8 1/3/6 or 1/4/6. As far as having issues running PCIe 3.0 vs PCIe 2.0 I doubt you'll have and issues and I doubt you'll have any gains. Since that 'MOD' changes the Registry you can go back using a Restore Point -- as long as you don't do something silly (i.e. goofy SSD tweaks) and Disable System Restore. I always recommend testing before installing other Applications and Data to any new system build. Testing: Memtest 4 passes/overnight using AI Overclock Tuner -> XMP before installing any OS, then after installing the OS run AIDA64 Extreme (all testing options/see below) for 24 hours personal use or 48 hours professional use, and then install all of the other applications and data once the PC is fully validated.

The H100's fans are 'fine' until they're not, and once they're not (annoyances) the solution is very simple -- replace them. ;)  Once you OC your CPU you'll discover what I'm saying...

How is it x16/x8/x8 ?
The board supports x16/x8/x16 default Asus Rampage IV Extreme
Quote:
4 x PCIe 3.0/2.0 x16 (x16; x16/x16; x16/x8/x16 and x16/x8/x8/x8, red) *1
*1-1 This motherboard is ready to support PCIe 3.0 SPEC. Functions will be available when using PCIe 3.0-compliant devices. Please refer to www.asus.com for updated details.
*1-2 For PCIe 3.0 x16 (X8 mode), PCIEx8_2B(Grey) shares bandwidth with PCIEx8_2A(Red).

So both slot 1 and 4 are +16.
I do not get it!
How is it going to be x16/x8/x8 ?
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a c 715 V Motherboard
October 23, 2012 1:44:27 PM

Dropz said:
How is it x16/x8/x8 ?
The board supports x16/x8/x16 default Asus Rampage IV Extreme
Quote:
4 x PCIe 3.0/2.0 x16 (x16; x16/x16; x16/x8/x16 and x16/x8/x8/x8, red) *1
*1-1 This motherboard is ready to support PCIe 3.0 SPEC. Functions will be available when using PCIe 3.0-compliant devices. Please refer to www.asus.com for updated details.
*1-2 For PCIe 3.0 x16 (X8 mode), PCIEx8_2B(Grey) shares bandwidth with PCIEx8_2A(Red).

So both slot 1 and 4 are +16.
I do not get it!
How is it going to be x16/x8/x8 ?

October 23, 2012 2:15:08 PM

Are you sure that this manual is up to date ?

This photo is from an older manual E6797 , the newer one has 1/2/4 at x16/x8/x16 E6989

But i have come across some topic that i could not know if it is true or not.

Rampage IV Extreme PCI-E Configuration @ rog furms
Quote:
So the complete situation looks like that:

|_________|_______________________________________ _| - 3th, linked with 2nd, x8 for both

x16 (1st) + x8 (2nd and 3th) + x16 (4th and 6th) = 40 (CPU limit)

@ rEd2k: For you, my friend, there is only one way to make your 590's run x16 and 460 run x8:
1st slot - 590 x16
2st slot - 460 x8
4th slot - 590 x16
6th slot - EMPTY

I can't say is 5th x1 v2.0 port included in CPU's 40 lines or not, but CPU has 40 PCI-E v3.0 lines and this port is v2.0.

For me the question is:
Is it possible to share x8 within 2nd and 3th ports? (That probably means to force one of these to run x4)
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a c 715 V Motherboard
October 23, 2012 4:02:58 PM

The only configurations I've used on the R4E are 2-WAY (x16/x0/x16/x0) and 4-WAY (x16/x8/x8/x8). However, I realize GPU-z reads the first PCIe slot always as x16 but in reality it only has x8 if there's more than (1) GPU.

SB-E has 40 PCIe lanes in total, 32-lanes for the GPU but (x16/x8/x8/x8) = 40 vs reality (x8/x8/x8/x8) = 32. The remaining 8 lanes of PCIe are PCIe 2.0 and the 32 lanes are PCIe 3.0, only 32 PCIe lanes are going to the 'red' PCIe slots (GPU). IF all 40 lanes were used then (reality check) then immediately you'd lose USB 3.0 and ALL third-party chipsets.

So what GPU-z shows vs reality are two separate things. Worst, if the 'older' manual is indeed totally wrong then you're SOL with 3-WAY (triple width) GPU's.

---

Contacted ASUS and the following is confirmed:

1. 3-WAY CF = 1/2/4 or 1/3/4 ; each AMD e.g. HD 7970 has (2) bridge connections and as long as you have a bridge that can span (1) bridge 1<->3 and (1) bridge 3<->4 you can CF.
2. 3-WAY SLI = 1/2/4 is supported ... 1/3/4 will not work due to it's bridging; either the fixed 3-WAY or fix 4-WAY bridge will not line-up with the slot '3' ; actually I figured that out in conversation.

note: This error caused the manual revision and 'ideally' 1/2/4 is recommended but 1/3/4 works in CF only.

3. Electrically slots 1 & 4 = x16, but bandwidth anytime slots '2' or '3' are occupied slot '1' = x8 regardless of GPU-z. Also, if slot '6' is occupied then slot '4' = x8 bandwidth. Bandwidth is all that counts.

Therefore using 1/2/4 or 1/3/4 actual bandwidth is x8/x8/x16, but electrically it's x16/x8/x8.
October 23, 2012 4:28:05 PM

jaquith said:
The only configurations I've used on the R4E are 2-WAY (x16/x0/x16/x0) and 4-WAY (x16/x8/x8/x8). However, I realize GPU-z reads the first PCIe slot always as x16 but in reality it only has x8 if there's more than (1) GPU.

SB-E has 40 PCIe lanes in total, 32-lanes for the GPU but (x16/x8/x8/x8) = 40 vs reality (x8/x8/x8/x8) = 32. The remaining 8 lanes of PCIe are PCIe 2.0 and the 32 lanes are PCIe 3.0, only 32 PCIe lanes are going to the 'red' PCIe slots (GPU). IF all 40 lanes were used then (reality check) then immediately you'd lose USB 3.0 and ALL third-party chipsets.

So what GPU-z shows vs reality are two separate things. Worst, if the 'older' manual is indeed totally wrong then you're SOL with 3-WAY (triple width) GPU's.

If you assume that , then i would also assume that the PCIe lanes are only for PCIe , then we would have all 40 PCIe Lanes for PCIe , and the rest is not related to those.
Unless the names are a bit deceiving.

jaquith said:

---

Contacted ASUS and the following is confirmed:

1. 3-WAY CF = 1/2/4 or 1/3/4 ; each AMD e.g. HD 7970 has (2) bridge connections and as long as you have a bridge that can span (1) bridge 1<->3 and (1) bridge 3<->4 you can CF.
2. 3-WAY SLI = 1/2/4 is supported ... 1/3/4 will not work due to it's bridging; either the fixed 3-WAY or fix 4-WAY bridge will not line-up with the slot '3' ; actually I figured that out in conversation.

note: This error caused the manual revision and 'ideally' 1/2/4 is recommended but 1/3/4 works in CF only.

3. Electrically slots 1 & 4 = x16, but bandwidth anytime slots '2' or '3' are occupied slot '1' = x8 regardless of GPU-z. Also, if slot '6' is occupied then slot '4' = x8 bandwidth. Bandwidth is all that counts.

Therefore using 1/2/4 or 1/3/4 actual bandwidth is x8/x8/x16, but electrically it's x16/x8/x8.

1/2/4 bandwidth at x8/x8/x16 and electrically x16/x8/x8 how ?
x16 bandwidth on x8 electrically ?
lol!
either that ASUS is using false marketing on both the site and the latest manual , or i got it all wrong , or the one you contacted on asus's behalf does not know what he is saying.

Do you have any credible information source regarding the R4E lanes management?
I tried to find one , but i could not find any..
!