Sign in with
Your question

Upgrade or build from scratch?

Last response: in Systems
September 30, 2011 10:41:21 PM

Hey guys so i decided i should save a little bit of money. what i decided is if i should upgrade my current computer to a gaming pc or should i buy a new pc from scratch (imma build myself of course)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
You can check out the system specs here: http://reviews.cnet.com/desktops/gateway-dx4850-45u/450...
OR
Here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Anyways if you didnt read the links heres a brief explanation.

6GB ram
Intel HD 2000 Graphics card
1TB hardrive
i5 2300 2.80GHz
thats all i know about the system

i never really opened up the case cause i never knew this was a option

So upgrade this current computer or build a completely new one from scratch?

More about : upgrade build scratch

September 30, 2011 11:47:41 PM

Your processor is actually pretty good, it's the integrated graphics card that's holding you back. Buy a Radeon HD 6850 or Nvidia 560ti and you will see the difference.
October 1, 2011 12:01:26 AM

Quote:
This build is a prebuilt?

You are most likely going to have to purchase a new gpu/case/psu

give us an idea of what resolution you will be gaming at and what games you will be wanting to play @ what quality.

1920x1080
Skyrim
BF3 (at decent FPS)
Mw3
and some other games Not demanding though (Crisis, Metro 2033

and yes its prebuilt
Related resources
October 1, 2011 12:26:00 AM

Quote:
Recommended gpu for high quality for BF3 is 560ti or 6950

I am running dual 6950 2GB on the BETA atm hitting around 60-75fps outside average at that resolution.

For your upgrade I suggest buying a new case/psu/gpu

make sure the psu is antec,corsair,xfx,seasonic,enermax while still checking reviews from legit reviewers on them.

for gpu, you are going to want to get the best you can afford.

for the case, just go with whatever you desire, so many cases out there to choose from.

You are looking to spend atleast $500 imo, $300 for gpu/$100 for psu/$100 for case

or spend more on the gpu and less on the case.

wait if i buy a new case ill have to take everything out?
October 1, 2011 3:39:57 AM

Your cpu is a good one, but the 300w psu will not power a strong discrete gaming card, so you will have to replace the psu.

It is time to open up the case to check things out.
October 1, 2011 4:06:27 AM

I would just buy the GPU and PSU, then monitor the GPU or systems temperatures, to see if they are acceptable, then upgrade to a new case if the stock cooling is inadequate.

an hd 6950 is about 11 inches long (this is a more or less measurement), so i cant tell just by looking at the case if it will fit, you will need to measure the distance from the back of the case to the front of the hard drive carriage.

You probably will need a new case, but I don't like to spend money and make work if I don't have to.
October 1, 2011 6:53:42 AM

A sawzall is cheaper than a new case...
October 1, 2011 4:42:45 PM

Best answer selected by -ZincaTe-.
!