Sign in with
Your question

No Boot: ram causing CPU_LED error

Last response: in Motherboards
October 21, 2012 3:12:57 PM

Hi All,
This is my first post as a new member with a new build. After a painless assembly and windows install, everything ran smoothly for about 10 days, but I'm now having an intermittent, but continuous problem.
The issue is most prevalent when doing a "Cold Boot" after the machine has been powered down for more than 4 hours.

Upon boot the CPU_LED will light immediately , and remain lit, with an error code of 00. If I turn off the machine and boot it back up repeatedly it will eventually enter POST and windows will start.
Once it’s up and running it perform flawlessly; it’s totally stable, with good temps and goes like a bat out of Hell.

Even though the error pointed to a CPU issue, I didn’t want to pull the CPU off quite yet so I started removing components piece by piece and booting in between.

I disconnected the hard drives: Issue persists.
I disconnected the video card: Issue persists.
I removed all the RAM: The CPU led does not light, but as expected the DRAM_LED does.

I put back in 1 stick of RAM in D1; CPU_LED lights
I press the MemOK! button, it flashes a few times, reboots, and Windows boots up perfectly.

I repeated these 2 steps with the remaining ram until all 32gb is in place, and gave myself a pat on the back for fixing the problem.

The next morning I have the EXACT same problem, the machine boots and the CPU_LED lights immediately.
I press MemOK! the DRAM_LED flashes, but nothing else happens.
I press CLR_CMOS: Issue persists.
I press I press MemOK! again the DRAM_LED flashes, machine reboots and windows starts.

It will then run happily for the rest of the day, but I’ll have the exact same problem the following morning, solved with MemOK and / or CLR_CMOS.

So any ideas people? Anyone ever seen a RAM problem causing a CPU_LED error?

i7-3930K
Asus P9X79 Deluxe (firmware v. 3009)
32gb G.Skill (f3-14900cl10-8gbzl)
Asus GTX 690
Corsair H100
64gb Crucial M4 SSD
1tb Western Digital Caviar Black
Dell U3011
October 21, 2012 3:18:21 PM

If you've updated everything, including your BIOS, and it's still doing this then it sounds to me like you've got a bad RAM stick somewhere (or possibly a bad RAM slot).
October 21, 2012 5:24:56 PM

nbelote said:
If you've updated everything, including your BIOS, and it's still doing this then it sounds to me like you've got a bad RAM stick somewhere (or possibly a bad RAM slot).

Thanks for the quick reply. That was one of the first issues I thought of. If it was a dud stick of RAM or a DIMM slot I'd expect the issue to be persistent ( not so intermittent). I'd also expect the DRAM_LED to light up immediately, and not the CPU_LED.

Plus when it does boot correctly all the ram shows up perfectly, both in the UEFI BIOS and in windows.

The machine is halfway through running a Memtest86+ at the moment and is looking good so far.
!