Sign in with
Your question
Closed

How to make gpu quieter

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 31, 2011 7:26:04 AM

How can I make my gpu quieter, other than reducing fan speed?

More about : make gpu quieter

a c 130 U Graphics card
July 31, 2011 8:13:16 AM

Probably the only way to do that without reducing the fan speed would be to install your PC inside a case with sound proofing.

I'm guessing your looking for a quick cheap fix though.

Realistically you cant make it quieter without doing something to the fan, maybe replacing the stock fan with a custom one would be the answer.

Mactronix :) 
July 31, 2011 9:47:33 AM

If bad airflow in your case is causing it to overheat opening the case might help, but most likely you will need a custom fan, most are much quieter than some particular stock fans on gpus.
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
July 31, 2011 3:16:49 PM

geis said:
How can I make my gpu quieter, other than reducing fan speed?

When you figure that out, let me know how I can make my car go faster without hitting the gas.

Mod's, please enter this in the dumbest question of the year drawing.
a b U Graphics card
July 31, 2011 3:18:30 PM

geekapproved said:
When you figure that out, let me know how I can make my car go faster without hitting the gas.

LoL
That category is going to fill up fast.
July 31, 2011 3:41:48 PM

You can of course install a new hsf.
a c 355 U Graphics card
July 31, 2011 4:24:10 PM

geekapproved said:

That's easy. Just push it down hill.

:) 
July 31, 2011 7:01:37 PM

geekapproved said:

Well, u put the car in neutral, then let it roll downhill.

Hope this helps, mr.hawking >: )
July 31, 2011 7:02:43 PM

ghnader hsmithot said:
You can of course install a new hsf.

Hsf?
July 31, 2011 7:03:41 PM

Btw its a radeon xfx 6850, now I think u guys know what I mean
a c 130 U Graphics card
July 31, 2011 7:09:59 PM

geis said:
Hsf?

Heat Sink Fan

a c 130 U Graphics card
July 31, 2011 7:11:55 PM

geis said:
Btw its a radeon xfx 6850, now I think u guys know what I mean

Can you link us a picture of the cooler that is on the card, because if its the same type as mine then you defiantly need a new fan. If one of those is noisy then i recon the bearing must be knackered.

a b U Graphics card
July 31, 2011 7:19:45 PM

geis said:
Well, u put the car in neutral, then let it roll downhill.

Hope this helps, mr.hawking >: )

Dear Mr. Hawking,

If my car goes 130mph on flat road with gas, how is PUSHING it down a hill without gas going to make it go faster?

Sincerley,
Shirlock Holmes.
July 31, 2011 7:34:50 PM

mactronix said:
Can you link us a picture of the cooler that is on the card, because if its the same type as mine then you defiantly need a new fan. If one of those is noisy then i recon the bearing must be knackered.

I actually haven't got the card yet, but after looking at reviews, it was said to be at 60db when oc, yet it stays VERY cool (like 60c fully maxed crisis). I just don't see how, with the vaporx tec it has, that they made it so cool (temp) yet so loud.
a b U Graphics card
July 31, 2011 7:35:42 PM

geekapproved said:
Dear Mr. Hawking,

If my car goes 130mph on flat road with gas, how is PUSHING it down a hill without gas going to make it go faster?

Sincerley,
Sherlock Holmes.

^ i fixed it for you
a b U Graphics card
July 31, 2011 7:37:46 PM

geis said:
I actually haven't got the card yet, but after looking at reviews, it was said to be at 60db when oc, yet it stays VERY cool (like 60c fully maxed crisis). I just don't see how, with the vaporx tec it has, that they made it so cool (temp) yet so loud.

If you go for a non reference model with 2 fans, make sure you have plenty of case ventilation. one thing to deal with capable GPUs is the heat and noise. Turn your speakers up louder or get headphones.
July 31, 2011 7:38:56 PM

geekapproved said:
Dear Mr. Hawking,

Sincerley,
Shirlock Holmes.

Dear shirlock, u must be mistaken. I never said push the car, and you never said u where going 130mph on flat road with gas, get ur facts straight
July 31, 2011 7:40:17 PM

FlintIronStagg said:
^ i fixed it for you

Btw I was calling him steven hawking, not myself
July 31, 2011 7:42:08 PM

FlintIronStagg said:
If you go for a non reference model with 2 fans, make sure you have plenty of case ventilation. one thing to deal with capable GPUs is the heat and noise. Turn your speakers up louder or get headphones.

Its non ref., yet only one fan

Best solution

a c 130 U Graphics card
July 31, 2011 8:23:16 PM

geis said:

When they make these cards they have to decide where they are going to set the card, low fan speed and quiet but a bit hotter than other cards or higher fan speed which makes for a louder but cooler card.
I realize we are talking about totally different cards here but my 5850 from XFX is whisper quiet and i can get a decent OC out of it before having to turn the fan up from its default setting.
I'm guessing the 6850 is a little hotter and so they wanted to set a higher but obviously louder fan profile.

As you have yet to but and as noise seems to be an issue you rate quite high may i suggest you look at a MSI Hawk card.

July 31, 2011 8:41:24 PM

Na im just not sure about SIXTY DB. but I have yet typ game on mY new rig yet so it may not be that bad w/game volume, but I plan to cf in the future
a c 179 U Graphics card
July 31, 2011 9:03:55 PM

60 dB measured from how far away, and inside a case or not? dB measurements are only really useful as comparison to other cards measured in the exact same manner.

Also, best way to drop your volume level is to reduce the fan speed, if the fan is keeping it at 60C under load with OC then its a really aggressive fan speed curve, having it spin a bit slower will raise the temps a bit but reduce noise levels a fair amount.
July 31, 2011 9:56:55 PM

hunter315 said:
60 dB measured from how far away, and inside a case or not? dB measurements are only really useful as comparison to other cards measured in the exact same manner.

Also, best way to drop your volume level is to reduce the fan speed, if the fan is keeping it at 60C under load with OC then its a really aggressive fan speed curve, having it spin a bit slower will raise the temps a bit but reduce noise levels a fair amount.

Do u have any reccomended replacement fans that are better?
August 8, 2011 6:42:00 PM

Best answer selected by Geis.
a c 271 U Graphics card
August 8, 2011 8:18:34 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!