Upgrade or not

kreater

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2012
Hello,

I am looking to increase my performance in games still though being relatively happy with it right now i always look to be better.

So I currently have:
Phenom x4 965 BE @ 3.5ghz
GTX 580
6gb ram @ 1066
Corsair 850w PSU

I am unsure whether or not for a start if my cpu is bottlenecking or not, and whether I should overclock it more to around 3.8 if possible or just buy a new cpu, something like a i7 2600k (though i would need a new motherboard for this)

Would like to hear your thoughts.

kreater

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2012
amuffin, hmm, i barely utilize 4gb let alone that.

I dont think its worth it but maybe im wrong :), i will look into overclocking my cpu more though.

Seems like your 580 is getting bottlenecked. Overclocking won't hurt and will give you better performance, just make sure you have a good cooler :)

kreater

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2012
i dont know exactly what cooler i have sorry, not so good when it comes to these bits :( its just a standard fan over my cpu and some other 1 on the side of the case if thats what you meant

kreater

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2012

I stated my psu at the top, corsair tx850w. And my mobo is nforce 750a, pretty old.

kreater

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2012

Thanks I am already using this however :)

truegenius

Distinguished
BANNED
only thing you should try to upgrade is your cpu cooler (may be a water cooling solution) and it will be compatible with all your future cpu/mobo upgrade

and (after new cooling system) then try to push your cpu over 4ghz and this will be enough to handle that gtx580.

and their is nothing else to upgrade in this amd system

kreater

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2012

Yea i believe this is it, thanks.. can you reccomend a good cooler?

Salt

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2012
I agree with the people who say put in a bit more RAM if you want to keep the platform you have. The number of applications we have, services, and total processes climbs with time. 4GB was a lot not long ago, but it isn't much now.

The best way to see if you need more RAM is to open up task manager, then go to resource monitor. On the memory tab look at hard faults per second. If you see a fair number of hard faults then its time to stick more memory in. Any time your system has to cache to the HD it is paying a huge performance penalty.

As to the relative benefits of switching platforms.. If you upgrade to 8GB of ram along with a new MB, and a 2600K -- I wouldn't expect much more than 6-10FPS in most games. That might be enough to justify it you, but you might as well try the overclock first.