Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

CPU Fan speed stuck on high after moving vid card to a new pci-e slot

Tags:
  • Computers
  • Components
Last response: in Components
January 1, 2012 7:18:19 AM

When I built my computer last year around this time, the case I had was very difficult to use with the giant video card I had. So ideally I just stuffed it all in there. Today I decided to move the video card down a PCI-E slot so it would not be so close to the sound card. Once I moved my video card down a slot and I booted my computer again. My CPU Fan is idling at 2000rpm. I'm not quite sure what might have happened.

*NOTE* just before I was about to shut off my computer I accidentally hit the power strip shutting everything down unexpectedly. I'm curious if maybe that caused hardware damage and would make my CPU fan blaze and a whooping steady 2000 rpm.

Can someone please help me with this problem? I cannot stand to listen to this fan at full speed; especially when it is not needed.

Please can someone help me with this problem.

Windows 7 64-bit
Asus P6X58D Premium
Core i7 950
Nvidia 480 GTX
6gb triple channel ddr3
Creative soundblaster fataility titanium
PC Power & Cooling Silencer 910 Watt

More about : cpu fan speed stuck high moving vid card pci slot

January 1, 2012 7:59:58 AM

Its possible that the Motherboard BIOS got corrupted when the computer was turned off unexpectedly, but very unlikely.

I would try resetting the BIOS to factory default via the BIOS interface (press esc, or del or whatever to enter BIOS setup) and restore to defaults there. If that doesn't work reset the CMOS by following the motherboard instructions.

Get back to us if that doesn't work ...

Luke
m
l
January 1, 2012 3:46:27 PM

I read somewhere to turn on CPU Q-Fan and set to standard, this seemed to fix my problem at the moment. Is that something I should do?

However, I did reset my bios to default settings.

The fan is out of control again, and I remember when I first bought my computer. I have 1600 triple channel ram and it always sets it to 1066. I had a friend fix this at one time, he told me in the past something about cpu multiplier which I know nothing about.
m
l
Related resources
January 1, 2012 4:14:44 PM

its a good thing unless its too loud for you. the cooler the cpu runs the longer it will last. one thing i immediately thought of is that you blocked a fan that the cpu fan would normally receive air from. look into that.
m
l
January 1, 2012 5:21:02 PM

The funny you say that. I use an Antec and it has two compartments for harddrives. I had my harddrives in the lowest compartment and I moved them to the highest just below the Audio Console and DVD Drive. The fan that cools my HD (?) is about 80-90 below the cpu fan; I'd say only 10-20 percent of the fan is pushing at the CPU fan.

Any idea on if the Q fan is a good idea? and what about my ram? I reset it and now I cannot get my ram at default settings unless I clock it to 1600
m
l
January 1, 2012 5:54:02 PM

your going to want to maximize the amount of air that gets to the cpu and gpu.
m
l
January 2, 2012 12:23:15 AM

There is an overhead inward fan (above cpu and gpu) 2 intake fans on front (infront of gpu and cpu) and an outtake fan on the back.
m
l
January 2, 2012 12:35:51 AM

make the top fan an exhaust fan. your not letting hot air get out. remember hot air risings
m
l
January 2, 2012 1:00:45 AM

Good Point, its done. I couldn't tell if it was pushing up or not so I put a small piece of paper.
m
l
January 2, 2012 8:02:10 PM

Alright.

With Q-Fan disabled my fan is loud and is going at 2000-2250 rpm's.

With it on, it seems to increase and decrease with temperature of the CPU.

Before, the fan use to expect a heavy load and crank up during posting and booting, and sometimes first loads of video games. Not anymore.
m
l
January 2, 2012 8:30:36 PM

thats all normal
m
l
January 2, 2012 11:14:27 PM

If that's all normal, what is the best recommendation for my fan to be set at? Keep in mind I cannot stand my fan giving my house ambient sounds.
m
l
January 3, 2012 12:00:19 AM

thats up to you. but just remember the cooler you keep things the better and longer they last.

http://www.quietpcusa.com/how-to-silence-a-computer.asp...

if it was me id run them full speed all the time. i assume this is a gaming computer so whats the big deal? you shouldnt be able to hear the fans when gaming unless for some reason you have the sound down all the way.
m
l
January 3, 2012 1:55:44 AM

I have probe running on my computer. I do not know if this is normal or not. At idle its about 38-40 degrees. when I'm working on the pc (movies, facebook, forums, skype, etc.) it runs about 40 - 47. I stress tested it and it went up to almost 60 or so. I wonder if I should be concerned. Before when I had my original setup I never really checked it and wonder if this is normal. the fan runs at 1500 rpm with casual use. and 1200 at idle.

I looked into it some say its normal. Should I take the fan off and reapply my artic silver ?
m
l
January 3, 2012 2:30:09 AM

italianmonti said:
I have probe running on my computer. I do not know if this is normal or not. At idle its about 38-40 degrees. when I'm working on the pc (movies, facebook, forums, skype, etc.) it runs about 40 - 47. I stress tested it and it went up to almost 60 or so. I wonder if I should be concerned. Before when I had my original setup I never really checked it and wonder if this is normal. the fan runs at 1500 rpm with casual use. and 1200 at idle.

I looked into it some say its normal. Should I take the fan off and reapply my artic silver ?

im not quite sure what you are saying. "i have a probe running on my computer" what do you mean by that?

those temps dont seem bad. this is a none overclocked i7 with the stock heatsink correct?
m
l
January 3, 2012 12:04:37 PM

Probe II (asus monitoring system).

My fan is ZALMAN CNPS9900 NT 120mm 2 Ball

CPU is not overclocked, however, I do have Intel extreme tuning with "Turbo Boost Technology" and "SpeedStep Technology" enabled.

m
l
January 3, 2012 4:49:12 PM

ok everything looks fine. its just down to your preference of how noisy vs how cool the cpu runs.
m
l
January 3, 2012 8:44:50 PM

Last question, my fan was controlled before by temp without Q-Fan why moving the video card would cause it just go full blast now?
m
l