Bad card or other hardware/software problem?

numlock7

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2011
Alright, so I bought an Asus Essentio cg8350-06 from best buy about a month ago which has:
mobo: P8h76-mpro-b with 2 PCI-E x16 slots
cpu: Core i7 2600 sandy bridge 3.40GHz
Windows 7 home premium
8gb memory
Monitor is Samsung px2370 23"led (60hz tops)
added two 120mm fans one in front one in back

last weekend I upgraded the psu to Corsair GS700 (700w) 2x PCI-E 6-8 pin compatible
and decided to add the XFX Radeon HD 6850 775mhz 1gb DDR5

Turned everything off, added the psu and card, booted it up and installed the proper drivers (catalyst 11.6 and now 11.7)
It seemed to do everything properly, but an hour or so into playing Empire: total war it split the screen, black horizontal lines, fuzzed up and then went to a blue screen with white pinstripes, white screen with green stripes, then just blue/black. Was using DVI and then tried HDMI and same thing. Not only on the game but now even when I try to play video from internet. basically all the time now. sounds still play, and you can still play the game and video till screen goes blank.

Now, I went into bios and it's set to PEG/PGI. changed it to PGI/PEG and PEG/iGPU got blue screen on start up so I set it back. Got frustrated so I took the card back out and reset everything, then reinstalled this time the catalyst driver was 11.7. Same thing happened so I just took it back out and am using it as it was again. The only thing I did different with the original set up (beforeinstalling the card) is use two screens, one the samsung and the other my old vga emachines flatscreen. Didn't use the old one on the 6850, single monitor only and catalyst only saw one.

Temp is a steady 36-45c for cpu and 50c on gpu but maybe it's overheating somehow?

thinking it could be a bad card or somehow 8gb memory isn't enough? No idea what to do now cept take it back and get another. As it sits my RAM is 33% used with 5538mb free out of 8106mb total. The game plays without the card but I want to have one otherwise i wouldn't have upgraded the psu. Any suggestions would be helpful.