Sign in with
Your question

Memory support

Last response: in Memory
October 21, 2012 9:01:50 PM

Hello i'm new to this community and thank you for having me!
basically i bought a Asus m5a78l-m/usb3 motherboard bundle which says it is compatible with 1333 mhz ram and 1600 (O.C)
However the ram i asked for wasn't available so they sent me a 1600 set of ram at stock speed as an alternative
I have been having blue screens and crashes since i built my rig and i'm just wondering if the 1600 is compatible or whether it is only compatible with 1333 mhz that has been overclocked?
thank you so much for reading and for any answers

More about : memory support

October 21, 2012 9:13:06 PM

I had the same problem a few weeks ago...........So i forced the shopkeeper for a exchange........gladly he agreed the first time i called him about this. So you better do it before your warranty/guarantee expires, You should always buy from trusted manufacturers.
m
l
a c 150 } Memory
October 21, 2012 9:42:46 PM

^ This does not even make sense.......

What is the brand and model of the RAM? DDR3 1600 should work fine although you will have to set the speed manually.

Exactly what errors are you getting?

Test RAM with memtest. 10 to 12 hours with 8GB. Any errors at all means a bad stick or its not configured properly.

http://www.memtest.org/
m
l
Related resources
October 21, 2012 9:47:57 PM

Love your avatar anort3, I actually have a Darwin fish tattoo on my forearm. You may have gotten some bad ram and like he said, test it and if it fails, exchange it. It should run with 1600mhz memory no problem though and if it doesn't you can always lower the speeds to 1333mhz.
m
l
October 21, 2012 11:31:12 PM

thank you for your responses!
however i have lowered speeds to 1333 mhz in my bios and i encounter the same problem
the brand is Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C9 1600MHz Dual Channel
if i run cpu-z or anything hardware monitoring it shows a strange lined screen and rebooots
google chrome shockwave error as well if thats any help?
i regularly build computers and never have problems its just this one which happens to be my own :( 
m
l
a c 150 } Memory
October 21, 2012 11:37:00 PM

List all of your components.

Run memtest as I suggested above.
m
l
October 21, 2012 11:42:29 PM

my components are
AMD FX 8150
8Gb crucial ballistix pc 12800
asus m5a78l-m/usb3
AMD Radeon 7770 graphics card
1TB seagate hard drive
60 gb crucial v4 ssd
550 w corsair psu

h have ran memtest 86 for just over an hour and it found no errors
nor did windows memory diagnositc.....
which leads me to ask further questions on this site!
m
l
a c 150 } Memory
October 21, 2012 11:46:12 PM

As I said above you need 10 to 12 hours to really test 8GB. Run it overnight.

Also maybe try a different SATA port and cable for the SSD.

All your drivers up to date? Motherboard drivers from the website and not the CD that came with the board?
m
l
October 21, 2012 11:53:14 PM

memtest ran untill it would run no more one night over night
the ssd is running fine i have done many checks on that!
all my drivers have been manually updated i don't trust driver detective etc
However one thing i have noticed is all my problems are solved when my gfx card is running at full power i.e not in power save mode
cpu-z loads fine shockwave stops crashing gpu-z works fine no blue screen etc etc?
maybe its a radeon power save setting messing up everything? any ideas?
i can't thank you enough for your replies very helpful :) 
m
l
October 21, 2012 11:54:56 PM

and the motherboard drivers and bios have been updated to the latest update they possibly can be
m
l
October 22, 2012 12:35:32 AM

error code is 00000x124 near enough every time ntoskrnl.exe is the driver thats causing it I am losing Patience with it!
psu is fine as far as i'm aware as it only happens when everything is idle obviously at that point using little or no power
graphics at idle in power save settings i'm pretty sure is causing the problem because i run furmark its all ok i run cpu-z for example on idle and it crashes!
but run cpu-z at idle without furmark running instant crash!
m
l
October 22, 2012 12:38:44 AM

to clarify i run cpu-z straight after boot up no programmes running instant crash, but if i run it with furmark running or any gpu intensive program it seems to run fine! when my gpu is running in power saving modei have these problems!
m
l
!