Map Shared Drive Thru VPN Server Setup

gerrylarry

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2010
I have a Windows 2003 server that is our corporate Internet server. It doesn't have AD or WINS or DNS or DHCP installed on it. I have a PPTP VPN available from the firewall and I can create a VPN connection to this server successfully. I have created a Test folder to share and given everyone full access to it. I have made numerous attempts to map a network drive to it but nothing works; I get "The drive could not be mapped because no network was found" error message. I am wondering if I am missing a necessary Windows component on my server.

gerrylarry

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2010
The server is a standalone and was not set up as a file server. The short answer to my original question was that I had to install WINS, DNS, and AD. I made this hard by overthinking it - turned out to be very easy and there are good instructions on the Web. Once that was done, I could map a drive successfully through the VPN. I guess that was what the original error message was telling me - "no network was found".

riser

Illustrious
Sounds the the VPN connection isn't allowing access to the local-LAN. Yes, I did do Local Local Area Network. :) Within the VPN setting you will need to have it set to allow connections to the LAN, not just the VPN connection network.

G

Hi I have a similiar problem, I have a windows 2008 foundation server at a clients property and they wish to have users access shares on a data drive that is seperate on the server.

I have the server setup with active Directory Users and logon scripts to their local shares on the data drive but need to setup VPN so they can use their mapped drives at home.

What do I need to install on server and clients please.

Michael

Hi I have a similiar problem, I have a windows 2008 foundation server at a clients property and they wish to have users access shares on a data drive that is seperate on the server.

I have the server setup with active Directory Users and logon scripts to their local shares on the data drive but need to setup VPN so they can use their mapped drives at home.

What do I need to install on server and clients please.

Michael

hey Michael,

to receive better help specific to your problem, please open a new thread.

even so your problem seems to similar in nature, once other ask you questions about specifics, it will take away the focus of the original thread.