Is Phenom x 3 2.1 ghz good for gaming?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wildstar43

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2012
Hello,

I am upgrading the video card amongst other things. Just wondering if it is necessary to change the Processor?

Solution
A gaming PC with a mid to upper mid-range gaming video card needs at least a dual core CPU running at 3ghz to manage most modern games at anything over low to medium settings. More cores is always beneficial, but you really need to hit that 3ghz mark, or better.
A gaming PC with a mid to upper mid-range gaming video card needs at least a dual core CPU running at 3ghz to manage most modern games at anything over low to medium settings. More cores is always beneficial, but you really need to hit that 3ghz mark, or better.

Solution

Won't happen, couldn't you have figured this is a older 65nm Phenom 1 8xx0 series. They are all stock at 95w except for the E versions that run at 65w. OP might get 2.4ghz or so.

I think you are misunderstanding, I was not at all implying that he could do anything more with the POS he has now, I was implying he needs to start over with something completely different.

blobby91

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2011

If it is a AM2+ socket motherboard it should support a AM3 cpu. Would just have to check compatibility beforehand and check what the maximum wattage is of the motherboard

wildstar43

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2012

My current specs:

Acer AX3200-U3600A

AMD Phenom X3 8400 2.1 GHz

8200 Nvidia intergrated Graphics

Windows Vista 64

4 GB Memory

500 GB HDD

High-Definition Multimedia Interface (HDMI)

220 watt power supply from Acer

New Upgraded Specs:

Diablotek EVO Mid Tower case w/4 fans

AMD Phenom II X4 840 3.2 GHz (If I have to change, this maybe the processor I will go for)

ASUS ENGTX 460 TOP overclocked Graphics Card

Windows Vista 64

4 GB Memory

500 GB HDD + 1 TP external HDD

High-Definition Multimedia Interface (HDMI)

600 Watt power supply from Inland (Gold Series)

I have not decided on which motherboard yet. I did think about overclocking the current processor but the current MB does not allow it.

Status
Not open for further replies.