Sign in with
Your question

Series of long 15-20 second long beeps,computer will not start

Last response: in Components
January 1, 2012 3:51:21 PM

hi, i have a hp a6600f,w/ egforce 8600t video card, 2 gigs of ram (2 slots),e2200 processor, my problem- computer was running great,then it froze,i restarted, the only thing that happened was a series of all long beeps (aprox 15-20 seconds) continuous, monitor not even reconized,..here's what i tried-switched ram chips between slots, tried only one ram chip, removed video card and tried the intergrated one, all fans are working fine (cpu,video card,power etc) and not making any noise, still only getting the series of just long beeps..please help what else can i try or test ??
a b U Graphics card
January 1, 2012 4:01:02 PM

id get the funeral march out... well i can say that im pretty sure that if your cpu was bad it wouldnt even make a sound.. so im going to go with make shure your all your cables our mounted .. correctly look for any blown capasitors on your mb and make sure your seating your ram correctly ..
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 1, 2012 4:03:40 PM

it sounds like you may have a bad mobo..
m
l
Related resources
January 1, 2012 4:41:42 PM

This happened to me before. I fixed it by switching around the RAM sticks into different slots.

m
l
January 2, 2012 3:53:13 PM

ravesaint5 said:
This happened to me before. I fixed it by switching around the RAM sticks into different slots.

tried that, is it possible for both ram sticks can go out at the same time ??
m
l
January 2, 2012 3:56:48 PM

goodguy713 said:
id get the funeral march out... well i can say that im pretty sure that if your cpu was bad it wouldnt even make a sound.. so im going to go with make shure your all your cables our mounted .. correctly look for any blown capasitors on your mb and make sure your seating your ram correctly ..

everything seems to have checked out, when i took both ram chips out and turned my computer on the beeping changed to short beeps, does that mean anything ??
m
l
January 2, 2012 8:22:08 PM

jfrog said:
everything seems to have checked out, when i took both ram chips out and turned my computer on the beeping changed to short beeps, does that mean anything ??

The CPU fan is working? If so then there's only PSU or MOBO. Try to get another PSU borrowed from a friend a check that out in the case if not then take out the MOBO and try again.
m
l
January 3, 2012 11:04:39 AM

Your getting a series of beeps; these beeps will tell you exactly what is wrong with it.
Whats your mobo make, model and socket and also can you describe the beeps exactly (similar to Morse code).

The beep codes vary between models and bios versions however the following tends to be general for HP desktops:
1 short beep and 1 long beep: memory
2 short 1 long (repeats 5 times) : unable to initialise video or video card required but not installed.
3 short beeps and 1 long beep: CPU configuration error or cpu type is not compatible.

Sauce:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=uk&lc=en...

Please use this as a reference not a definative as it says this is common to many HP desktops.

Thanks
Sig
m
l
!