w3tworks

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2010
My old system got smoked by a lightning strike last week and I am looking to throw something together cheap and quick like. Figured I'd bounce this off the forums to see if anyone had any other ideas or suggestions.

I plan on grabbing the following stuff from Newegg:

BioStar 880g+ motherboard
AMD II phenom X2 555 B.E cpu
G.Skill 4gb 1333/1066 ram
Diablotek PDH350 psu

for a grand total of around $175 with shipping.

I plan on reusing my Lian-Li case, optical drives and a spare sata 5400rpm HD I have laying around not doing much ATM. I am hoping that my video card is not smoked, but have no way of testing it at the moment that's why I'm going with that particular psu (for the pci-express connect) just to check out my old card before I buy a new one. And if it's junk at least I'll have the dual monitor support from the motherboard.

My first upgrades will be a ssd and a new psu followed by a new video card if needed. I do some light 3d modeling and a few online games. Nothing cutting edge. I'm just looking for a base I can build on and perhaps trying my luck to see if I can get a few cores to unlock.

My previous build was:
Gigabyte G41M-ES2L
Intel 5300 Duo core O.C.ed to 3.2Ghz
ATI Radeon HD4850
G.Skill 2gb x 2 ram
Seagate 7200.12 1TB HD

And that served my pretty well over the past few years. As you can see I don't need the latest and greatest equipment available. I'm only hoping for comparable performance to what I had.

Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

etk

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2010
DiabloTek is the lowest of the low for PSU. Anything else would be a step up. What was your previous PSU? If it was of a reputable manufacturer, it probably didn't take anything else with it.

w3tworks

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2010
Hehe, my old one was also a Diablotek, hence the reason that will be the first upgrade I make. I just need something quick and cheap to get off this netbook for doing homework assignments. I'm not at home ATM but I paid $60-70ish for the last one, and other than the lightning issue never had any problems with it.

Is there an outside chance that anything else might be save-able off my old system? Like the ram maybe, mobo or even the cpu? I know the HD doesn't work, as I've tried to use my external HD plug on it w/o any luck when hooking it up to my netbook. I guess I'm under the assumption that everything in my old system was ruined. I have no way of testing anything as my only other computer is a crappy netbook. If all i need is a new psu that would be great, but I'm on a pretty strict budget ATM and if all i needed was a psu I'd spend around $100 for a new one, but if that didn't work then I'd be kind of up a river for the rest of the system, as far as funds go. Unfortunately I live in a small town and really don't have access to a computer repair shop close by that I could go to for any help either.