Uninstall old drivers reinstall new ones?

romeodakins

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2012
I might upgrade my motherboard, psu, graphics card, and cpu later so when I do, do I just put the new parts in and plug in the same harddrive and install the new drivers for my new stuff? Or do I have to uninstall the old drivers first, then install the new ones. If so, how do I uninstall the old drivers?

ECHOSIDE

Distinguished
May 7, 2010
If you'd like to keep your data, obtain a second hard disk and re-install your operating system from scratch on that disk. Once the system is stable, attach your old hard disk to the computer so you can browse the files, but do not boot from it.

If you're ok with starting from scratch, simply format the disk and do a clean install of your operating system upon your new hardware.

If you'd like to retain your files and data without obtaining another hard drive, you can copy the files you'd like to keep to an external hard drive or optical media. After that, format the drive and do a clean install.

If you are transferring any old files to a new installation, you may want to scan for viruses / malware to protect yourself from any re-infection.

romeodakins

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2012

Well I want to keep all my old files because I have like 20 games installed, and a bunch of documents and I really don't want to redownload all that. I don't have another hard drive though. I only have like 2 8gb memory sticks.