P4 cpu upgrade socket 478- DOA

Jon M

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2012
Hi All,
I have an old P4 machine based on a Compaq ch077 mobo, with a P4 2.4GHz cpu (Socket 478) and IGb RAM (512Mb in each slot) . It runs very slow, and the fan on the old graphics card is groaning. My kids use it just for websurfing and only then when the other machines are in use, and I had no real plans for it, other than waiting for it to give up altogether...

I've just been given a slightly less antiquated PC, but in much better condition, based on a Asus P4P800SE board, with a 2GHz Celeron CPU and 512Mb RAM installed but plenty of spare RAM slots (DDR PC2700- still available at reasonable cost), so great upgrade potential.
I have reinstalled XP, and have some more RAM on order and so far it goes nicely.

As the sockets are the same, and the P4P800 specs indicate that it supports P4 cpus, I thought I had a ready-made upgrade, and swapped the P4 cpu into the Asus mobo.

The problem is that the machine will not power up; I get no audible POST, and a blank video display. I cannot enter the bios.

Can anybody help with suggestions?

(I guess I couold try to reinsall xp and can always of course reinstall the old Celeron CPU, but would like to understand if I have missed anything simple)

Thanks,
Jon

The ASUS P4P800SE is a solid board. Re-check that the CPU is properly aligned to the socket (using the gold triangle in the corner) and that the CPU retainer is properly secured.

Re-check that the CPU_FAN cable is connected and the heatsink is properly mounted to the CPU with thermal interface material - like Arctic Silver 5 or equivalent.

Then re-check the power cables' connections to the board: the 24-pin and 4-8 pin CPU power cable.

Well do what treefrog said first. Maybe there a wire loose.

although from looking at the "cpu support list", i got a sneaky suspicion that the MB has an older bios and the P4 your trying to put in is needing a newer bios to support it.

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_478/P4P800_SE/#CPUS

Jon M

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2012
I have removed and then reseated the cpu, and it immediately was correctly recognised by the BIOS, and so far, works beautifully.
Many thanks for the suggestions!
Jon

well, we're glad to be of help!

If you need any other help, Just let us know. :hello: