Sign in with
Your question

Should I upgrade my ram?

Last response: in Memory
October 22, 2012 3:43:23 AM

Hello, I want to ask of your opinions on what I should do. I want to upgrade my computer but its kind of old. The thing I want to upgrade is the ram. Once I upgrade my ram I could then over clock my CPU to 3GHZ but I don't know if I should do that since my pc is pretty old.

Here are the specs of my computer:

Memory: 2 GB DDR2-667 ( Should I up to 4 GB DDR2-800? )
CPU: Intel Pentium E2180 @ 2.00GHZ ( Overclocked to 2.3GHZ; can't go any higher )
Graphics card: NVIDIA GeForece GT520
Hard Drive: 500 GB 7200RPM
Motherboard: P5KPL-AM SE

More about : upgrade ram

October 22, 2012 3:56:40 AM

Well here's the deal. 4GB of DDR2-800 (2x2GB) will cost you just short of $50. This is stupid expensive for the capacity/speed JUST because it's DDR2. So, what you really have to ask yourself is "am I going to be upgrading the rest of my system any time soon".

If yes, then just save your money. For that same $50, you can easily buy 8GB of DDR3-1600 ram.

If no, then I would absolutely pick up the extra ram. Memory is one of the best upgrades you can do for a system. Especially since windows 7 will eat as much of it as you throw at it.
m
l
October 22, 2012 4:06:10 AM

If I were to upgrade my system would it cost a lot? If I were to do so I think I would have to upgrade the motherboard, cpu, and ram. How much do you think that will be with a quad cpu and 8 gb of ram? Preferably AMD because their quads are really cheap.
m
l
!