Difference between uma and sideport mode?

ajcaya

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2011
Hello,

I can't seem to find a description of what these two options are and how I should configure my mainboard.

jdwii

Splendid
"SidePort only - In this mode, the integrated graphics core treats the SidePort memory as its local memory. If more memory is needed, it is allocated dynamically through system memory by the driver, which is significantly higher latency than the local SidePort memory.

UMA only - In UMA mode, the only memory to which the integrated graphics has access is a dynamically allocated partition of system memory. The size of the parition is selectable from within the BIOS (ATI's reference board allows for 16 - 128MB sizes). If more memory is needed, it is allocated dynamically through system memory by the driver.
UMA + SidePort (Interleaving Disabled) - In this mode, the total amount of "local" graphics memory is the size of the UMA partition and the amount of memory connected to the Radeon Xpress' SidePort. The integrated graphics core will first use SidePort memory until it runs out, then using system memory. If more memory is needed, it is allocated dynamically through system memory by the driver.
UMA + SidePort (Interleaving Enabled) - By enabling Interleaving and setting the UMA frame buffer size to the same size as the memory connected to the Radeon Xpress' SidePort, a special Interleaving mode is enabled. In this mode, the integrated graphics cores will request data from both the UMA space and SidePort memory. The benefit of Interleaving is that now two reads or writes can occur at the same time, whereas with just SidePort only a single 32-bit read/write can happen at any given time. Despite the fact that UMA accesses will be higher latency, the dual ported nature of this setup improves overall performance. There are situations when a SidePort only configuration will offer greater performance if the application depends on lower latency memory accesses. If more memory is needed it is dynamically allocated through system memory by the driver."

TRENDING THREADS