CPU and Mobo comparisons for CS5/CS6 video editing

Dave Bitton

Honorable
Oct 22, 2012
Hi!

I'm about to upgrade my current editing rig (Premiere & After Effects CS5 - will eventually upgrade to CS6) and am having difficulty choosing between two CPU options and two motherboard options. I was hoping someone out there could help out.

For the CPU, I'm trying to pick between the 3930k and the 3820. I know one is hex core and the other is quad core, but does that translate to a major difference in performance, or just a minor one? (Basically, is the 3930k worth the extra $250)

On the motherboard side, I'm picking between the ASUS P9X79 Deluxe and the WS. I don't intend to ever use either 3-way or 4-way SLI. I'm leaning towards the Deluxe because of the integrated wi-fi, e-SATA and additional SATA/USB2 & 3 ports over the WS. Is there something important that the WS does over the Deluxe that is relevant to video editing? Perhaps with regards to setting up a RAID?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
David.

Yes, those extra cores will really pay off. So will lots of memory. So will a good video card. So will a great storage setup. I would go with the Deluxe out of those two, but would buy an ASRock if I personally needed a board. All areas affect performance in that software. What are the specs for the rest of your system?

Dave Bitton

Honorable
Oct 22, 2012
Thanks for the reply, Maestro.

Basically, my current setup is maxed out - RAM, CPU and PCI slots are all full, so I'm doing a base fundamental upgrade to allow for future upgrade.

My current system is:
Mobo: ASUS P5K-SE
CPU: Q8800 Core2Quad
RAM: 8GB
Video Card: Palit 450GTS 1024MB DDR5
Storage:
-128GB OCZ Vertex4 SSD for OS and programs
-2x2TB Hitachi Deskstar 7200rpm drives for media (non-RAIDed)
-1x1TB 7200rpm drive for Adobe Media Cache
Expansion cards:
-Blackmagic Intensity Pro
-USB 3 controller
-Firewire controller
-Wifi Networking card

My new system would look something like this:
Mobo: ASUS P9X79 Deluxe (or WS)
CPU: 3930k or 3820
RAM: 32GB of GSkill 1600 F3-12800CL10Q-32GBZL (with intention to upgrade to 64GB later)
Video card - same as above (it runs Mercury Playback Engine fine, so don't see the need to change at this point)
Storage - will eventually switch to some sort of RAID array, but can't afford it for the time being, so will stick with the current setup.

Expansion cards
-If I get the Deluxe mobo, I can ditch the USB 3 controller & the wifi card.
-If I get the WS, I can ditch the Firewire card and the USB 3 controller (although there are only 2 USB 3 ports on the WS, as opposed to 6 on the deluxe)

I like ASUS, and have heard good things with regards to their X79 boards, so I think I'll stick with them. Do you know if the WS offers anything more with regards to RAID performance/setup?

Let me know if you have any other thoughts.

Dave Bitton

Honorable
Oct 22, 2012
By the way, the current project I'm working on is a feature-length documentary with 4TB of media and growing. Mostly DSLR h.264 and HDV footage. Easily over 6000 files.

I basically want it to load and run faster so that this behemoth project is easier to manage.

TRENDING THREADS