Will an AMD Radeon HD 7970 fit an ASUS Crosshair IV Formula?

Cooler Master

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2012
Just picked up an AMD Radeon HD 7970 3GB GPU.

Plan is to pick up an ASUS Crosshair V Formula-Z soon as I will be upgrading my PC.

But can my current ASUS Crosshair IV Formula run this GPU or is it not compatible with it?

ATM I have a MSI R6950 Twin Frozr II OC w/a AMD Phenom x6 II 1090T.

mubin

Distinguished
Both motherboard can run 7970. No problem.

But you should buy a intel i5 cpu to run a 7970. Or else, you will get low performance on gaming than usual.

You better stay with 6970 with phenom ii x6. 7970 will not give you its full performance with amd cpu.

Cooler Master

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2012
Hmm...I don't know much about intel cpus...
So what motherboard should I get as my motherboard can't take an intel cpu?
I'd like a fairly new motherboard.

Cooler Master

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2012
So will a ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77 fit my Cooler Master HAF 912 Plus case and can I use my Antec KÜHLER H2O 620 Liquid cooling system with this board and cpu?

What other more powerful intel cpus will be good? i7 six core??

And do nVidia gpus work best with intel cpu?

I did read AMD cpus are no match for the intel...I was just about to get the FX8150 but after reading some reviews thought I'd stick with the AMD Phenom x6 II 1090T until the FX8350 comes out but not sure if to go the AMD route again or intel/nVidia??

Very confusing... :fou:

jsrudd

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2009
For gaming, AMD chips (even the new FX-8350) are not competitive with Intel chips. The intel chips are faster and cost the same amount. Don't waste your money on a six core intel CPU, but yes they are faster.

Either an Nvidia or an AMD GPU will run fine with either an Intel or AMD chip.

mubin

Distinguished
Yes, sabertooth will fit in that case. And that liquid cooler is also compatible.

i7 six core is powerful, but no need if you are not doing 4-way crossfire/sli. Quad core i5/i7 in enough for high end gaming.

There is nothing like nvidia works best with intel. Just forget it. Nvidia also works with amd cpu if the cpu is powerful enough.

If you want to gaming, then go for intel based cpu. AMD cpu is not good for high end gaming. Until you buy a intel cpu, stay with current setup.

Cooler Master

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2012
Hmm...thanks for the answers guys. :)

Ok noted, I definitely want a hight end gaming PC...it's just hard to imagine a smaller core cpu being better that a larger core one. :pt1cable:

Since I am at the point where I have a choice of a motherboard as I am looking to upgrade my current spec I will go the intel way this time.

Which one of these should I get?
Both say Z77 and LGA1155...

ie.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1155/Maximus_V_GENE/#specifications
ie.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1155/SABERTOOTH_Z77/

I read this is good:

ie.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1155/P8Z77V_PRO/

Big choice of Z77s....

And a INTEL Core i5 3570K 3.4GHz /6 MB Cache, Socket LGA 1155 , IVY BRIDGE to run with the 7970.

Thanks