HELP! Can't read files copied to floppy.

G

I'm running windows XP home editions at home, and when I copy files to a floppy disk and try to find them on another computer, they're not there. If I take the floppy back home and look at them on the box at home, they are still there. I can open them, edit them and save them. I try to look at the floppy on my win 2000 box, and again gone. I only seem to be able to edit and look at files copied by the XP box on the Win XP box. This is just useless, as I need to be able move stuff around. Files copied by any other computer are still viewable and usable by XP. What's up with this. Anybody else have a similar problem? More importantly does anybody know how to fix it?

Thanks

NickM

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2001
> <font color=blue>“…when I copy files to a floppy disk and try to <font color=red>find</font color=red> them on another computer, they're not there.
If I take the floppy back home and look at them on the box at home, they are still there. I can <font color=red>open</font color=red> them…”</font color=blue>

Not clear enough….Let’s start from the beginning…
- Before talking about opening, editing, or saving the files by means of any program (say Word, Acrobat, Photoshop, etc.), the first question:
<b>can you see your files just by clicking on the “3.5 Floppy A:” icon</b>?

- Next question: from the Command Prompt type <b>A:</b> end hit the {Enter} key.
Then type <b>DIR</b> and hit the {Enter} key again. Can you see the list of your files?
(Just in case your files became hidden somehow, repeat the previous stage, but now type: <b>DIR /a</b>
instead).

- By the way, when opening your files on another machine from a program (say Word, Acrobat, Photoshop, etc.), double check that you’ve chosen <b>all files</b> or <b>your specific file type</b> in the opening applet’s window.

- What’s the file type, if not a secret?