First time building a computer

nazman

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2011
Hi guys, I'm attempting to build my first computer since my laptop just got stolen. I primarily want to use to play Blurays, 1080p video and HD video editing, i will also be using this computer for video encoding and transcoding, and may set this up for a server for the house. I will be using photoshop and the rest of the adobe suite. I do have a microcenter within 20 miles. I would like at least 2 tb and depending on the cost a ssd to boot from. i would also like a blu-ray player/ burner. This will be hooked up to my 47 hd tv through my HD reciever. I don't have a strong preference to the case but the smaller and the quieter the better. I will probably have this computer on all the time, so i would want to make sure it can run (be quiet) and not overheat.

I am looking to spend 400 or less on the rest of the components, so far I have:

The CPU I just bought is an i7 2600k unlocked
and I picked up a mother board which is an Asus p8z68-v LX
I also got a power supply which is SeaSonic X750 Gold 750W ATX12V 80 Plus PSU Power Supply and I am looking at getting this RAM (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?SID=u343176t0f0fp0dd0c0s701&AID=10440897&PID=1225267&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-cables-_-na-_-na&Item=N82E16820231429)

Any help you can offer, since thE only help I have right now is the guys at microcenter(im not sure how much they want to help me or if they just want to sell things) is greatly appreciated, thanks!

nna2

Distinguished
for 400$ i dont think you'll find a 2tb ssd, 2tb hardrives are under 100$... pick up a blu ray drive, there pretty cheap, 50$ or so i beleve, if your planning to run a server off of it... depending on what its for you could basicly lose functonality of the pc (in the pc will be slow as $h!T) anyone can do video encoding... just the stronger your processor the faster it is, you should be just fine with that one

nazman

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2011
thanks for the reply! I didn't mean a 2 Tb ssd, I want at least a 2 Tb harddrive and also a ssd to use to boot up from. After reading what you said I guess I wouldn't want to use it as a server. I'm just trying to figure out what would be the best options for a hard drive, case, blu-ray burning drive and if that RAM is a good option for my cpu and motherboard.