guerrilla123

Honorable
Feb 22, 2012
Hi,

I have been reading all the marketing bumf for lucid logic virtu mvp and it seems really impressive offering big performance increases.

I am buying a new mobo (Not chosen yet) & processor (Intel Core i5-3570K) and from what I have read I should make sure it supports virtu mvp. (am I right?)

I've read so many guides I am starting to get confused. From my laymans understanding of this technology it works with your processor and gpu to give much better performance and framerate.

Have I got the right understanding or have I fallen fowl of general marketing spiel?

I have tried to find an Asus board with onboard wireless and Virtu MVP but have had no joy (I have had good luck with Asus boards in the past but would consider another manufacturer).

Can anyone recommend me a good board with Virtu MVP and onboard wireless?

***EDIT***

are all Z77 boards MVP? I think it may just be distributer site im looking at (aria) doesnt mention it on all the boards.

mr1hm

Distinguished

Hey there,

I ran into the same dilemma when I picked up my Intel i5 3570k about a month ago.

Simply put, I was overthinking it a bit TOO much. Was looking at this and then that; and then the other and got myself somewhat confused at a certain point.

At the time, my local microcenter was offering $40 bundle savings on the Asrock Z77 Extreme4 motherboard. Even after all the reviews I've read about the board (generally pretty good, especially for it's retail price) I just went for it.

Replaced my old phenom chipset with Z77; PC turned on, and began Windows 7 installation and everything was perfect :) .

If you plan on overclocking, I would still recommend this board as it's pretty solid. Sturdy VRM coolers and heatsinks all around; the SATA ports also felt very solid... Although I can't say the same for a previous AMD motherboard from the same company...

Here's the Tom's Hardware review from July 2012: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/z77-express-ivy-bridge-benchmark,3254-2.html

NOTE: The motherboard supports 2 PCI-E slots @ x8 speeds (OR if you run just a single video card, it'll run the main PCI-E lane @ 16x) giving better Crossfire/SLI performance.

Hope it helps^^

EDIT: Regarding Virtu MVP; this motherboard full supports it but, I believe the software is still experimental... I have a XFX Radeon HD 6870 1GB and the only mode I can run Battlefield 3 (where I really need the improved performance) is the Vsync + HyperFormance mode. When running BF3 using ONLY HyperFormance, BF3's FPS monitor shows a CONSTANT 60 FPS (I capped it there) but, the game still stutters as Virtu MVP will just toss frames instead of waiting for the CPU to pre-render it. (Even though the the game just looked choppy as hell, the game was very responsive).

Thread on Guru3D forums about Virtu MVP (if you haven't already checked it out): http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=359795

And yes, I believe most Z77 boards will support Virtu MVP.