How to speed up my internet/network

chlova05

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2010
Hello

I have charter internet with 8 mbps download w/ 1 mbps upload (sometime, ping test show I have 12 mbps download speed), but what I am wondering is how come when I download

stuff to my computer, the maximum speed I can get is 1.5 mbps download. Its good... but not the greatest. Here is the spec for my computer:

MB: Asus P7P55D-E
CPU: INtel i7 820
Drive: 1. OCZ Vertex SSD (OS)
2. Western Digital Black 1tb HDD (Programs/everything else)
Mem: 4 GB

I am thinking about getting the bigfoot network card from visiontek to see if I can really see an improvement on networking speed. If I am paying for 8 mbps, shouldn't i be

able to download at least 4-5 mbps. My network is serving 4 things right now.

1. Main computer (hardwire cat5)
2. laptop (wireles)
3. ipod touch (rarely on)
4. ps3 (never on)

Network info:
Router: Linksys wireless n 300 (WRT160-N)
Modem: Motorola standard modem (SB5101)

Solution

Yes, depending on where you are downloading from. You are not just limited by your connection but how fast the other computer can send data over to you. Just don't use mbps for both terms, MBytes / second is written as MBps (note the capital B), MBites is mbps. Your ISP gives you a bandwidth in mbps, your donwload speed will show up as MBps, which is 1/8th of that.
Don't confuse MBytes vs MBits in downloading. Make sure you are checking your download and ISP speeds in the same terms.

From the wiki.. To achieve a transfer rate of one megabyte (1000kB) per second one needs a network connection with a transfer rate of eight megabits per second.

Since your speed is roughly 1/8th of your rated speed you may be comparing a download speed in Bytes vs. the rated speed in Bits.

dEAne

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2009
Pinging is a test to measure the reachability of a host (your computer) on an Internet Protocol (IP) network and to measure the round-trip time for the messages sent from the originating host to a destination computer. If the time is very small then it is a good connection if not then it is either your home network or your ISP. The server you download something (like movies, music) also affects the download and other factors covers as well like telecom infra structures.

Yes, depending on where you are downloading from. You are not just limited by your connection but how fast the other computer can send data over to you. Just don't use mbps for both terms, MBytes / second is written as MBps (note the capital B), MBites is mbps. Your ISP gives you a bandwidth in mbps, your donwload speed will show up as MBps, which is 1/8th of that.

Solution

You are actually getting both, it's only how it's measured. Like the difference between only getting ONE dozen eggs, or TWELVE single eggs. You get the same thing, but measured in different ways.