Copy user profile

sammy

I'm having trouble copying my profile to a new user. I
get as far as "copy to" and it's asking for the Universal
Naming Convention (UNC) path to the target user's profile.
What is this path? I tried c:\documents and
settings\newusername and it froze (not responding).
If I am successful, will it copy all programs, such as
Word, excel and also the quick launch toolbar?

Sammy wrote:
> I'm having trouble copying my profile to a new user. I
> get as far as "copy to" and it's asking for the Universal
> Naming Convention (UNC) path to the target user's profile.
> What is this path? I tried c:\documents and
> settings\newusername and it froze (not responding).
> If I am successful, will it copy all programs, such as
> Word, excel and also the quick launch toolbar?

Google UNC or Universal Naming Convention... Amazing what effort does in
terms of results..

UNC - like \\servername\sharename or \\ip.add.re.ss\sharename

Are you using FAST?

--
<- Shenan ->

sammy

What is FAST?
My computer is a stand-alone laptop - no network. So
what's my server name?
Thanks. Sammy

of
>completeness, accuracy or timeliness, and without
warranties of any
>kind, express or implied. In other words, read up
before you take any
>advice - you are the one ultimately responsible for your
actions.

Sammy wrote:
> What is FAST?
> My computer is a stand-alone laptop - no network. So
> what's my server name?

Your computername is - I don't know - only you do.
You can find it in several places.. A Google search for "How do I find my
computername" might help there.

FAST - Files and Settings Transfer Wizard.
(Google that too, it transfers your files and settings quite well in most
cases.)

--
<- Shenan ->

sammy

OK I GET IT NOW. FAST File settings & transfer wizzard.
I have used it. But does it work ON THE SAME COMPUTER to
transfer from one profile to another?

sammy wrote:
> OK I GET IT NOW. FAST File settings & transfer wizzard.
> I have used it. But does it work ON THE SAME COMPUTER to
> transfer from one profile to another?

Yes.
You can.
Works great.

Don't know why you would want to.... If you want each user to have the same
profile, look into making a Default User profile. (Google searches and
Microsoft searches can show you how.)

If you want to know how to use the FAST wizard, a Microsoft or Google search
also comes up with many hits.

Name of your computer:
Control Panel -> System -> Computer Name tab....

How to use FAST:
(Instead of old/new computer, just substitute old/new user.)

Great general site with the links below for FAST
http://tools.supportforyourpc.com/get_article.asp?aid=1294

HOW TO: Use Files and Settings Transfer Wizard in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=293118

How To Use the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard By Using the Windows XP
CD-ROM
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=306186

How to use the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard with a wizard disk in
Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=306187

And in case you just wanted to make a default user profile so all new users
look the same in the beginning:

How To Create a Custom Default User Profile
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=319974

--
<- Shenan ->

sammy

Thanks for the great help! I'm on my way!