Problem with phenom 2 1055t

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ferinthul

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2012
Hey so i notice this when im playing some real low games, like team fortress 2 or l4d2

First let me post my rig

phenom 2 1055t 2.8 ghz x6
Gigabyte 990 UD3A mobo
2 sticks of 2 gb mushkin silverline ram 1333mhz
Gts450 x2 (sli)
750 W thermaltake PSU
8 Year old Blue Caviar HDD

Anyways continuing, I wouldnt think id have fps spikes in games like these from 200 - 40 and even 30 sometimes. Along with my cpu being under "load" if this could be considered load, at around 55c. I can hear the stock fan going pretty fast and when im playing the system idle process is at 80% ish. My cpu idles at around 44c.

I know its not the graphics cause ive turned everything down and the same thing happens.

Could it be the hard drive? with slow transfer speeds? Or is it the processor?

Any help is appreciated!

Solution
that is how I would apply it and I have never had an issue although "pea" sized can be too much. Check the CPU voltage and make sure its at stock. check the motherboard temp, if its signifigantly below the CPU temp at load then we can be sure its the CPU cooling.

if those check out I'd say its time to pull the heatsink and try again. if it looks like there's to much or to little paste adjust the amount and make sure the heatsink is down tight.

Ferinthul

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2012
This is killing me, the temp shouldnt be this high. Before I was reading the normal temps at aroudn low 30s sometimes 20's

i changed the mobo so i can sli and now im getting 44's and it heats up when im playing small games.

LOL. Anyway. how is your case ventalation? did your motherboard temps go up as well? how are the GPU temps? is the CPU actually maxing out in game? or do you just think it I'd because of the temps? is anything running in the background using lots of CPU time? if system idle is at 80% in game though its probably a heat issue. especially since your idle temp is quiet high. what's the room
temp?

SLI kicks out a lot of heat. poor case ventalation will make all your temps go up ( including the harddrive :), especially if these cards don't vent out the back. Also the GPUs will throttle themselves if the temps get too high, causing FPS spikes.

so two things. get gpuz and enable logging and see how hot your cards get. and what case do you have/ what's the fan setup

other things to try. enable vsync. this should lock your FPS at 60, taking a huge load off them from 200 and reducing temps. or take the side of the case off and point a fan at it. and see if the spikes stop and temps drop

Ferinthul

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2012
Hey thanks for replying again unksol

I have an nzxt gamma. I have 2 case fans, one for the hard drives and another for the case at the back, its near the top, relitively near the cpu.

I ahve one graphic card at 46 and another at 30 idle.

case ventilation id say is alright. How would i know if the cpu is maxing out in the game? my room temp is ambient, running at around 20-21c.

Gonna try vsync. I took it off because apparently it limits you, so i thought it was bad.

vsync limits you to a ratio of you monitors refresh. so 60 or 30. it should prevent screen tearing, but if you WANT 200 fps you would need it off. I don't see how a fps that high helps but that's just me. by this is more a heat reduction test at the moment.

its normal for the top card to be hotter but what we want to see is the Max load temp of the GPUs. gpuz will log this for you while you are in game, and show the clock frequencies to see if there is throttling happening which you can try and line up with the fps spikes. you'd want vsync off for this one so you can fully load the GPUs for Max heat.

I still have to look at your case but 2 fans sounds low for an SLI rig.can you.link your gpus? or do you know if they vent inside or outside the case?

Ferinthul

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2012
okay when i open up gpu-z it says nvidia sli is disabled.

Edit: found the problem for this. The 2nd gfx card wasnt updated. Just finished updating and using sli now. Running games to test for fps.

Ferinthul

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2012
FPS is working really well. Processor is still going nuts though.
starting at around temp at 48c for a game like tf2..

temps for gpu
71c for first card
56c for 2nd card

this is under load

a side fan may help the GPUs 15 degree difference but their temps aren't bad so probably not needed. looks like they both vent out the back.

wondering how the motherboard temp is but this seems to be a CPU cooling issue. Since you just went to the new motherboard did you clean off the TIM from heatsink and CPU and apply new when you moved them to the new board? is the heatsink screwed down tight? you can run prime 95 to see you peak CPU temps. it may climb really fast though if there's a CPU cooling problem so be ready to end the test.

You changed motherboards so you had to separate your CPU from your Heatsink&Fan. What did you use to clean the CPU and Heatsink&Fan? What thermal paste did you apply between the CPU and Heatsink&Fan?

Ferinthul

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2012

iso alcohol 99%

reapplied a thermal paste, used Noctua (NT-H1)
Or something like that.

Ferinthul

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2012

running prime95 right now
not so bad, it jumps from 39c to 44 in the first second or so. then slowly climbs and flatlines at around 65c, and then it slowly climbs down to 63c and hovers around there.

Whch i think isnt so bad, i used noctua NT-h1 thermal paste for the heatsink+fan to put on the cpu. First cleaned it with iso 99%. Is it possible i put too little?

your load temps seem much higher than they should be at stock, as are your idles. I would pull it, reclean, and reapply. you could have put too much, or too little. when you pull the heatsink if its overflowing the CPU heat spreader or thick you put too much. if it didn't spread all the way across the die or there are spots that are completely bare then you used too little. either one will have a negative affect on your temps.

how did you apply it?

Ferinthul

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2012
i placed about a pea size of thermal paste in the middle of the processor. Placed the heatsink on top and twisted it a bit to fit the heatsink in. Clamped it down and rotated the lever to secure it. plugged in the cpu heatsink fan.

that is how I would apply it and I have never had an issue although "pea" sized can be too much. Check the CPU voltage and make sure its at stock. check the motherboard temp, if its signifigantly below the CPU temp at load then we can be sure its the CPU cooling.

if those check out I'd say its time to pull the heatsink and try again. if it looks like there's to much or to little paste adjust the amount and make sure the heatsink is down tight.

Solution

Ferinthul

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2012
theres 3 temps and the CPU voltage

ill just take a pic and put it here

looks like your Max CPU voltages are getting pretty high at 1.46. I'd try setting it to 1.35 to start, run prime 95 to see if its stable, and temps drop, then keep dropping it as long as it stays stable. if its unstable bump it up till it is.

or you can go straight to reseating the heatsink if you think thats less bother

Ferinthul

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2012

reseating heatsink, be back in a bit.

Ferinthul

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2012
Just finished reseating. I think i put too little the last time.
Getting 33c idle temps now. and it sounds a lot quiter.
Cpu fan is at 2428 rmp right now

I still think i put too less this time around aswell.

Cpu volt right now is at 1.22

Should i prime95 to check it out?\

Ferinthul

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2012

Since the cpu fan wasnt scaling properly should i just do i normal restart and check the bios?

Status
Not open for further replies.