Three monitors with Radeon 5850

Status
Not open for further replies.

lordofcattown

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2009
Hey guys, I am looking to add 2 more monitors to my setup, but I am also wanting to get another video card. I have been out of the loop for a while, but apparently they are selling hardly any 5850s anymore. Why is that?! If anyone can find a link to one, I would appreciate it. Anyways, If I add another card to my setup, how would i go about connecting the monitors? (I have absolutley no experience in dual video cards.) I am running a i7 950, 12 gb of RAM, and a 5850. Thanks!

Solution
Most 5850s came with a DP port. Assuming you have a DP or mini-DP port on your 5850, you can hook 3 monitors to the one you have and add the additional card (if you can find one) at any time. You will need a display port to DVI or HDMI adapter depending on the monitors you have. You plug two of the monitors into the DVI connections (or one to the HDMI and one to the DVI) and the third using the display port to DVI or HDMI adapter.

http://www.amazon.com/Sapphire-Radeon-PCI-Express-Graphics-100282XTREME/dp/B004W75ATI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1312198238&sr=8-1
Most 5850s came with a DP port. Assuming you have a DP or mini-DP port on your 5850, you can hook 3 monitors to the one you have and add the additional card (if you can find one) at any time. You will need a display port to DVI or HDMI adapter depending on the monitors you have. You plug two of the monitors into the DVI connections (or one to the HDMI and one to the DVI) and the third using the display port to DVI or HDMI adapter.

http://www.amazon.com/Sapphire-Radeon-PCI-Express-Graphics-100282XTREME/dp/B004W75ATI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1312198238&sr=8-1

Solution

Definitely. I ran 3 on a 950W. Then again, what is the make/model of your 850W?

You need to make sure all of your monitors are plugged into the same card with one of them plugged into the display port, though. Did you do that?

lordofcattown

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2009
So when I get the second video card, and I get the other two monitors, I plug them into just one of the cards? I know i would do 2 in DVI and one in DP to DVI, but I only do that to one card?

Yes. All three plug into the primary card (almost always in the card in the PCIe slot closest to the CPU).

What is the make/model of your power supply?

Status
Not open for further replies.