Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

3D advice for 6970 Xfire, New build

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
a b U Graphics card
August 1, 2011 4:41:48 AM

Hey guys. I just building my first PC and im loving it. Learning a ton. My question is about which driver to go with for stereoscopic 3d support for my Radeon 6970s CF. Ive read there are DDD TRIDEF 3D & IZ3D 3D DRIVERS.

1. Anyone prefer one over the other? Are these drivers paid for only?
2. How is the 3d compared to Nvidia's version? (still in my exchage window for the GPUs) but got cheap, $500 for both new
3. Will all Nvidia 3d games be compatable using AMD HD3D? (Trying to run Just Cause 2 in 3D)

Setup
-Active 3DTV 1080p for display
-i5 2500k
-Diamond Radeon HD 6970 CF
-Asus Z68 Pro mobo
- OS Win7

Thanks guys.
a b U Graphics card
August 1, 2011 5:39:58 AM

edit: read policy, GPUs are exchange for same item if defective only. So i guess im gonna make the 6970s work.
m
0
l

Best solution

a c 217 U Graphics card
August 1, 2011 6:19:23 AM

I tried to get both Tridef and IZ3D drivers to work and I found success with Tridef3d. The settings are not easy to work with, but if you figure it out, it does seem to work with most games that offer a Dx9 or Dx10 version of the game. I don't think it works well with Dx11 from my experience.

The disappointing part of the AMD 3D experience is that it's limited to 720p. Nvidia's 3d Vision is a lot better imo.
Share
Related resources
August 2, 2011 1:46:59 AM

Actually I'm using a HD 5870 and am able to play using AMD HD3D at 1080p 24, you just have to make sure you're using a HDMI 1.4 compliant cable or Display port.
m
0
l
a c 217 U Graphics card
August 2, 2011 1:59:00 AM

ADubbel said:
Actually I'm using a HD 5870 and am able to play using AMD HD3D at 1080p 24, you just have to make sure you're using a HDMI 1.4 compliant cable or Display port.


Displayport might work, but HDMI 1.4a will not work at 120hz past 720p (it's actually 60hz, but for each eye). You can watch movies with it at 1080p, but it's at 24hz, and not good enough to game at.

Be careful, HDMI 1.4 will not work, it has to be 1.4a, which is probably what your monitor has (most don't even display it in their specs).

I also forgot to mention, crossfire does not work with HD3D.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
August 2, 2011 7:37:07 AM

bystander said:
Displayport might work, but HDMI 1.4a will not work at 120hz past 720p (it's actually 60hz, but for each eye). You can watch movies with it at 1080p, but it's at 24hz, and not good enough to game at.

Be careful, HDMI 1.4 will not work, it has to be 1.4a, which is probably what your monitor has (most don't even display it in their specs).

I also forgot to mention, crossfire does not work with HD3D.


Wow no hd3d support for Xfire??? That's a kick in the nads! I do love me some 3d gaming on my Panasonic VT30. Luckily the MicroCenter manager said he will give me a refund with no restocking fee on the 6970s within 30 days.

Now what to do? Get the GTX 590 now or try to wait until the next cards release or keep the 6970s?? Don't get me wrong the 6070CF give excellent FPS results even on the most graphical intensive games, but 3d gaming is a major factor for me. Why cant I have the best of both worlds!
m
0
l
a c 217 U Graphics card
August 2, 2011 3:42:11 PM

Swolern said:
Wow no hd3d support for Xfire??? That's a kick in the nads! I do love me some 3d gaming on my Panasonic VT30. Luckily the MicroCenter manager said he will give me a refund with no restocking fee on the 6970s within 30 days.

Now what to do? Get the GTX 590 now or try to wait until the next cards release or keep the 6970s?? Don't get me wrong the 6070CF give excellent FPS results even on the most graphical intensive games, but 3d gaming is a major factor for me. Why cant I have the best of both worlds!


I'd recommend 560ti's in SLI or better. Due to the 720p limitation, you almost don't need 6970's in CF to handle 3D, but that's just another reason to go Nvidia.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
August 3, 2011 9:52:40 AM

bystander said:
I'd recommend 560ti's in SLI or better. Due to the 720p limitation, you almost don't need 6970's in CF to handle 3D, but that's just another reason to go Nvidia.


Ok I'm looking at the EVGA Superclocked GTX 570s SLI which are about the same price as the two 6970s. Anyone have any problems running 570 sli in 3d?

Anyone know the difference between the superclocked and Reg version of the evga 570. I only saw 732 vs 797mhz core clock speed. How much real world FPS would that account for if any at all?

I also read the evga 570s had some VRM problems. Anyone experience this?
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
August 3, 2011 2:24:49 PM

Best answer selected by Swolern.
m
0
l
!