New heatsink results in beeps

morelandp

Honorable
Oct 22, 2012
Hi,

I have a MSI Z68a GD 80 mobo with a 2600k cpu. Ive been running on stock heatsink but decided to upgrade and purchased a HR 02 Macho. Once installed Ive encountered a persistent problem; it beeps during start up. One long and two short beeps. A quick tour of the internet suggests a video card error, but the screen pops up right away and I have no problems after that. Just the beeps at start up, which really feeds into my OCD tendencies. Anyhow, I have reseated the heatsink with no relief. Reseated the memory. Tried a different video card. No matter what I do, it starts with 1 long and 2 short beeps.

Any hep appreciated.

MSI Z68A GD 80
Intel 2600k
8GB G SKill Memory
EVGA 560 Ti
Seasonic 850X
Windows 7 64 bit

rage33

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2010
what kind of CPU cooler/heat sink is that? This may sound like a silly question but is the 4pin heatsink fan plugged into the right header on the MB? I can't really think of any reason your motherboard would trip errors from a heatsink exchange

morelandp

Honorable
Oct 22, 2012

Its a nice air cooler from Thermalright. Its working great; dropped my temps by 9 degrees. Yes it has a 4 pin connector, and its in the right location.

Are you thinking that i have metal touching something it shouldn't, and so its faulting? Any other ideas? 1 long and 2 short seems to typically involve the graphics card, but the card is working fine as far as I can tell.

rage33

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2010
hmmm, well if you're system is running like it should and your not having any BSOD issues, I'm not sure that I would be too worries about it. That is strange though, have you recently updated your BIOS?