ASUS M4A88T-M USB3 not playing nice with GSkill Ripjaws 1333

tubaelf

Honorable
Oct 22, 2012
The "Mem OK" function on my motherboard is no longer able to find a setting so that my computer can boot with both sticks of my 8gb GSkill Ripjaws 1333 kit (2x 4gb) inserted. This memory was not on the approved list of memory for the motherboard when I built my pc but because they were 1.5v, the right speed (1333), and the motherboard box literally says "any memory is ok" on it, I thought it would be fine. I built my rig back in January 2011 and it has been moderately stable running 8gb dual channel mode. I say moderately stable because looking back sometimes it would take the computer extra time- and beeps- to start up (I now assume that this was the motherboards "mem ok" feature) but I never really thought much of it.

My computer became unable to boot with any memory inserted in ram sockets A1 or B1 after Monday last week. I had taken it apart to clean all the dust out of everything, and when I put it back together I accidentally did not push one of the ram sticks all the way in the socket. When the computer didn't boot I looked in to see if I had forgotten a power cable somewhere and noticed the ram not all the way in. After making sure that both sticks were now fully locked in the computer still wouldn't boot. I held down the "mem ok" button but after about a minute the ram was getting hot and it hadn't booted so I tried with a single stick in slot A1- it still wouldn't boot. I got the same result with a single stick in socket B1 and started to get worried, these are the slots that I had always used, and had always worked in dual channel mode. It finally worked with one stick in slot B2 and has been running stable this way for one week. I haven't tested slot A2 at all because it is obscured by my cpu cooler (if necessary I can re-orient it so that the slot is not blocked).

I tried to update the motherboard to the latest bios in hopes that it would improve the situation but couldn't get it to work. I downloaded the newest bios for my motherboard (confirming that it was for the usb 3.0 version) onto a fat 32 flash drive and tried to use the Asus bios updater within the bios but got an error message. I renamed the file so that it was less than 8 characters but it still wouldn't work.

*So my questions are: Are sockets A1 and B1 toasted? and what should I do from here?

Sorry for the long post.
TLDR: Ram has always been spotty with motherboard and now it won't work at all in 2 of the sockets. What do?

Thanks in advance.

Solution

If I were the one issuing the RMA, I'd still prefer you test it with separate RAM, but you have tipped the scales a bit more in favor of it being the motherboard.

cl-scott

Honorable
Sorry if I somehow missed it, but at any point have you tested different RAM modules in those two banks that are suspect? It sounds like you've got the makings of a bad motherboard, but until you test it with some known good RAM, we can't rule out it just being a case of the RAM going bad.

tubaelf

Honorable
Oct 22, 2012
I haven't tested the motherboard using any other ram but both sticks seem to function properly. Each has run successfully when a single stick is inserted into socket B2. Thank you for the reply.

cl-scott

Honorable

If I were the one issuing the RMA, I'd still prefer you test it with separate RAM, but you have tipped the scales a bit more in favor of it being the motherboard.

Solution